Prev: Re: St Jon's remarks Next: Mercs, yet again

Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 13:23:11 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels

--- Ryan Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com> wrote:
> At 11:00 AM -0500 1/12/02, Glenn M Wilson wrote:

> (I know this was John BTW)
> Well, I'm sure the Airborne guys liked it when they
> had light tanks capable of firing multipurpose
> rounds in support of infantry. The
> 152mm Beehive round was highly liked by the 82'd
> dudes in Vietnam and in Panama.

In Vietnam the 82nd Airborne wasn't actually fighting
as airborne, but as conventional light infantry.  As
for Panama, yes having 152mm was good.	But we would
have mopped up regardless.  Wog-bashing doesn't
require the best-equipped army in the world (See:
British military of the late 19th century).

> Tanks make Airborne a bit more than too light to
> fight. Light tanks

Airborne are always going to be too light to fight--or
too heavy to jump.

> work great in situations where there is close order
> fighting too. Add
> additional MGs and add some APC's with more MGs and
> you've got a
> force that can throw so much lead down range that
> ambushers wish they
> hand't.

Add some APCs and you've got the 4th ID (M).

John

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

Prev: Re: St Jon's remarks Next: Mercs, yet again