Prev: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels Next: Re: DS2 design querIES - NPC (Native People's Circle)

Mercs, yet again

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 16:27:10 -0500
Subject: Mercs, yet again

John A replied to my post, and I reply to his:

'm assuming that most mercenary units will
probably not be hired by central
governments of major powers. They will be
hired by breakaway colonies, regional
governors, and communities on balkanized
planets.

[Tomb] A regional governor is a
representative of a major power. And there
is plenty of modern evidence that PMCs are
being retained by major governments to
fight or aid in the fighting in situations they
don't want to participate in. And the ONLY
way the UN will allow a Mercenary Charter
to come into being will involve the
mercenaries that are chartered from not
participating in insurgent operations to
destabilize a national government, on that
you can depend. So those doing that will be
doing it unchartered (quite probable) or
very carefully and quietly.

> NO soldier in his right mind is content
with the
> "well, our plan better work or we're up
the
> creek" option. No one plans for that. >

You'd be surprised.  Hell, take a look at
Market Garden.

[Tomb] They did not plan to fail. They made
mistakes, but they did not knowingly go in with
the expectation of failure. And they were, in the
sense I described following, participating in their
own suicide. So this is not precluded by
anything I have said. It should just be very rare.
Also, these were not mercenaries either, who
are even more eye-open because of the
corporate focus of their work.

Think of mercenary formations this was: Less
averse than national forces to small casualty
counts (it is a risky business, recruiting will fill
the gaps, no flag wrapped coffins on the news)
and far more averse to unit-destroying actions
(no national interest, a lot harder to put
together a decimated or annihilated unit).

It's really capital-intensive to start a
spacefleet.

[Tomb] I wonder if buying a corvette is
more expensive than equipping a Division?

It also requires highly trained personell--
you can run a small-scale training platoon
in your merc batallion.

[Tomb] Look at the size of the Big4 fleets
alone. Their are plenty of veterans to draw
from. Though I will admit groundpounder
merc units will be far more common.

You can't run a training ship in your
destroyer squadron.  It's too dangerous to
have untrained personell aboard a fighting
warship.

[Tomb] Most modern fleets do on-board
training. And modern simulators are getting
very cheap and effective for the shore-
bound part. I don't forsee this as a major
issue actually (having worked on next-gen
sims for the Canadian Air Force and for bid
to a very interested USAF - we also had CP
Rail and some other military and civilian
industries looking at our tech).

I can't recall a single instance of a modern
naval or aviation (excepting Executive
Outcomes with a handful of Hinds, bought
cheap from the South African
government after they captured them.)
mercenary unit.

[Tomb] As pointed out earlier, the situation
is very different in the future of the
GZGverse. Today's world is "small". Space
is not (at least not with GZGverse tech).
Privateers aren't required because big
powers are not slugging it out (they are
mostly just beating up little guys with no
commerce to attack) and most won't
engage in anti-shipping activity because
the situation of today allows the nations
the luxury of being "generous" and
"compliant with Int'l Treaties". The
GZGverse seems to feature more heads-up
fights between major powers in a very very
very much bigger playing field with far
scattered outposts. This would seem to
favour just the type of space-capable
mercenary force I've discussed.

The time of privateers and letters of
marque was the time when the only
expense in converting a merchantman
to a warship was cutting holes in the side
and mounting cannon (Yes, I know purpose-
built warships were better.  But they
weren't required.)

[Tomb] And you can make ad hoc warships
in GZGverse by removing some cargo
spaces and installing weapon spaces in a
fast freighter. The rules don't preclude this
at all and neither, AFAIK, does the
universe. Yes, purpose built warships are
better. That is still the same.

Thomas Barclay
Instructor, CST 6304 (TCP/IP programming for the Internet)
kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca
http://fox.nstn.ca/~kaladorn/CST6304
http://stargrunt.ca/tb/CST6304

Prev: Re: [FYI] World's Longest page on tracks vs wheels Next: Re: DS2 design querIES - NPC (Native People's Circle)