Prev: Re: Walkers, was RE: grav Next: Re:mecha in SG/DS

mecha in SG/DS

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@f...>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 02:22:00 -0500
Subject: mecha in SG/DS

A thought: (in reply to stuff Mr. Brian Bell said)

Your comments about a mech in city.... can't
agree with em. (Not like that was a requirement
anyway...).

Here's some thoughts:
You can fit down a narrower alley than a tank.
Does that make this a good idea? Sandwiched
between two buildings... sounds like a wonderful
spot for infantry to engage you with IAVRs,
limpet mines, and perhaps even deadfall traps
and cable trips and using demo to knock
buildings onto you. Also a great little spot for a
tank to pull up to the alley mouth and you in
your poor mech with nowhere to go.....

Now, you say that tanks are vulnerable from the
top. True today, not so likely to be true (see
how armour is distributed in the SG
construction rules and DS) in a world where
top, bottom, side etc. attack missiles are
common and where any weakpoint will be hit by
AI driven weapons. So uniform armour is the
order of the day.

There are two real reasons a tank is better in
most situations, even urban (though the margin
is far less). It can take some liberties with
thinning the bottom armour a wee bit and its
ration of exterior space to interior space is
probably greater than the walker which means
the walker has to defend more square inches
and has really no place it can afford not to
defend.

Additionally, it has been demonstrated that
getting a bot to walk is a swine (there is one
now, but it goes very slowly) and that this kind
of suspension system sucks power and is
inefficient mass-wise. So the tank (at least as of
now....) gets the nod and if we assume
common rates of progress, then it probably still
will in the future.

Also, tank design nowadays is headed for small
crews, casement remote turrets (very small)
and very low fat profiles. This makes for a very
hard target and a good ability to attack from
hull-down. Now, a mech is about the opposite -
stands tall, and even if it runs 60 mph, it is till
easy meat for a laser guided fire control system
driven by and AI and very high velocity (HKP,
HEL, DFFG, MDC) weaponry.

I'm not saying walkers can't serve a purpose.
One place would be in broken terrain (rubble,
boulder fields, badlands, perhaps in some
mountainous terrain) where tanks just can't go.
And in urban situations, small walkers (size 1)
might serve as good backup to infantry. But big
walkers a la Star Wars AT AT require the magic
of unobtainium armour or shields to give them
any chance to survive the mass swarm of
GMS/H and MDC/5 rounds they'll be sucking.

Do what's fun. But if you're playing BT, admit
that you're doing it because you like anime and
big mecha, not because mecha are equally
viable as tanks. Whereas I may not know the
future, if we extrapolate common rates of
technology growth (but postulate that we don't
move to small robotic warriors which are
expendable, small targets, and more than
capable of delivering the weapons), then I
suggest the tank still will be the king of the
battlefield (until, at high TL, it becomes
indistinguishable from a VTOL or small
spaceship).

Although, I must admit one thing BT had that
DS2 misses: Ripping a limb off one of these
mecha and bludgeoning the remainder of the
mech into pulp with it. Now _THAT_ was
entertainment....!

Tomb.
Thomas Barclay
Instructor, CST 6304 (TCP/IP programming for the Internet)
kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca
http://fox.nstn.ca/~kaladorn/CST6304
http://stargrunt.ca/tb/CST6304

Prev: Re: Walkers, was RE: grav Next: Re:mecha in SG/DS