Prev: Re: [DS] Mixed units? Next: FT-Forts ooops

Re: [DS] Mixed units?

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2001 17:47:26 EDT
Subject: Re: [DS] Mixed units?

Back to the issue of the makeup of a unit composed of elements -

Page 7, last paragraph:

"...The key factor in any unit Organization is the UNIT, as this is
integral to the functioning of the game sequence; outside this, you are
free to do virtually what you want (provided of course, that (i) it is
consistent with whatever background you are setting the game in, and
(ii)
that your opponents are happy with it."

Page 7 left column, under "Force Organizations and Orders of Battle"

"The basic building-block of any force is a platoon-sized formation
known
throughout the rules as a UNIT.  Such units consist of a number of
individual ELEMENTS, each element being a single vehicle or a team of
infantry..."

Hence you could design a 7 vehicle unit (Klackons for those (Pre-GW)
Space Marines veterans) OR a unit as follows:

One size 4 APC/MICV, One Size 3 ADS, One Size 5 AFV, One size 2 TD, and
One Size 1 Transport VTOL.  But would it be an effective unit?	Only in
specialized usage I expect.  And no, it doesn't appeal too much to me.

So, that expressed, what kind of mixed UNITs (having diverse ELEMENTS)
might have some tactical advantage over traditional homogeneous
formations?  Remember, this is not a 'tailored' formation but a
formation
you would field in 'general' combat situations?  Your 'standard' TO&E as
it were.

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: [DS] Mixed units? Next: FT-Forts ooops