Prev: Re: [SG]Unit Integrity Next: Re: [SG]Unit Integrity

Re: [SG]Unit Integrity

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 22:38:39 -0400
Subject: Re: [SG]Unit Integrity

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001 20:19:13 EDT, Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@juno.com>
wrote:

>How much artillery do you usually use in a game where (IIRC since I
don't
>SG2) the pieces are individual men and the game is (?) Platoon based?!?

Artillery in SG2 includes mortars. The term "artillery" is actually
indirect
fire, including support weapons that would be doled out at the company
level.

The last game I had company level mortars on call to drop smoke for a
Japanese
attack across a swamp. If I remember, it was two missions of 3 tubes
each
turn.

I've also played games where the artillery is divisional level support.
BUT,
the game represents a very small part of a major advance and the
artillery in
that area is only a very small part of the main bombardment.

I use artillery where it makes sense. The assault across the swamp
wouldn't be
attempted without smoke, so I put in place smoke missions. However
artillery
does slow down the game, as does mines. I try to keep this in mind when
designing a game. It all adds to the game's length.

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

"Now, see, if you combine different colours of light,
 you get white! Try that with Play-Doh and you get
 brown! How come?" - Alan Moore & Kevin Nolan,

Prev: Re: [SG]Unit Integrity Next: Re: [SG]Unit Integrity