Prev: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers? Next: Re: [DS] UK Tank Destroyers

RE: [OT] Web Rehost (was: Yeah, but...! Re: Star Ranger's New Hom e?)

From: "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" <Brian.Bell@d...>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 06:51:45 -0400
Subject: RE: [OT] Web Rehost (was: Yeah, but...! Re: Star Ranger's New Hom e?)

Yes, it does take more.

One of the things is that you, often, have to reset the links pointing
the web site (URL). But this can be reduced by the use of relative
links.

Sometimes hosts inpose some restrictions that other sites did not have
(such
as limiting folder depth). This can cause a rearangement of the site and
change to links within the site.

If you are doing somthing other than HTML, often there is the need to
check/test code behind the pages (ASP, JSP, Java, CGI, etc.). Also,
there is
sometimes a change to the database or means of accessing the data (ADO
vs
ODBC).

Usually this is also seen as a time to test the web site and fix any
problems (may be old problems that you did not notice).

Sometimes you will run into a file that has become corrupted. If you are
uploading a batch of pages, this can (depending on the FTP client) bring
the
process to a screeching halt.

The only thing that can be said with 99.9...% certanty is that something
will break during a move.

---
Brian Bell
bbell1@insight.rr.com