Prev: RE: [OT] Web Rehost (was: Yeah, but...! Re: Star Ranger's New Hom e?) Next: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?

Re: [DS] UK Tank Destroyers

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@a...>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 21:08:12 +1000
Subject: Re: [DS] UK Tank Destroyers

From: "Glenn M Wilson" <triphibious@juno.com>

> Showing my complete ignorance, did the UK have TD designs?  How were
they
> applied/used?

1. 2 pdr and later 6 pdr AT guns mounted portee on trucks. Used in the
desert,
under camouflage. Could re-locate easily between battles.

2. "Achilles" which is a US M-10 ( M-18? I forget) with the good 76mm
gun
replaced by a vastly better 17 pdr firing APDS... best AT gun the
western
allies had by a large margin.

3. "Archer" which was an obsolete but reasonably reliable Valentine tank
with the turret ripped off and a fixed armoured 17 pdr mounted firing
backwards -
rather like the German Marder Tank Destroyers, but with overhead cover
and the ability to very rapidly relocate after one shot. Used a lot in
Normandy and after.

Note that *all* of the above use a "lurk in ambush" mode of operation,
as
did the

Prev: RE: [OT] Web Rehost (was: Yeah, but...! Re: Star Ranger's New Hom e?) Next: Re: [DS] Why tank destroyers?