Prev: Re: Small Ships--Why? Next: Re: [ft] Fighter Momentum Conservation (was: [OT] Unpredictable AI)

Re: [ft] Fighter Momentum Conservation (was: [OT] Unpredictable AI)

From: Donald Hosford <Hosford.Donald@a...>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 02:36:06 -0400
Subject: Re: [ft] Fighter Momentum Conservation (was: [OT] Unpredictable AI)

I haven't had the pleasure of using fighters yet myself, but while
reading
though the rules, it did seem to be an "oddity" in the game for the
fighters to
use a compleatly different system than the ships.  I thought that would
"add"
some complexity -- having to remember the different movement systems.

I always thought it would simplify things if the fighters moved exactly
like
ships do -- however they do it.  Just treat each squadron as another
ship.  That
way it removes the embarrassing situation of a carrier leaving it's
fighters
behind.

Seems like a very simple "house rule fix" to me.

Donald Hosford.

"Bell, Brian K (Contractor)" wrote:

> [...]
Morale, New
> fighter types and Ace/Turkey. Now there was 4 things to keep track of
> (number, endurance, type and ace/turkey status). I think that
simplicity is
> one of the reasons that some people do not play with morale or
ace/turkey
> rules. The Morale rules proved to be a good balancing point for
fighter, and
> thus became "standard" in FB2 (they were also figured in the cost of
> fighters in FB1 design point system according to Oerjan).
>
> I have seen systems for keeping track of fighter momentum. All, to
this
> point, have been somewhat less than desireable. All require additional
> bookkeeping.
>
> Option 1: Plotted move like ships. Fighters become small ships for
movement
> purposes.
>
> Option 2: Ship style movement (not plotted) [Vector]. Velocity of the
> fighters needs to be recorded in some manner. I have seen this done by
> having a marker for the starting point of the fighters. In the fighter
> movement phase, momentum is applied to the fighter. The starting point
> counter is moved to where the fighters started the turn from. And then
> fighter movement is done. This method is a fair option for Vector and
only
> envolves adding a counter to the table for each fighter group.
However, each