Prev: Re: [sg] Bagpipers, NAC Next: Re: Sa'Vasku

Re: [FT] Defensive system idea: MRIM

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 23:35:27 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Defensive system idea: MRIM

In message <3B2EB2D8.22079.3690E1@localhost>
	  "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca> wrote:

[snip]

> The answer (or one of them) is a Medium
> Range Interceptor Missile system. (MRIM).
>
> Whereas I sort of PSB the PDS as CIWS (laser
> or particle-accelerator type phalanx/goalkeeper
> system, defensive cannister launchers, etc), I
> see the MRIM as a system with slightly more
> capable sensors and more capable weaponry.
>
> What would it do:
> 1) Have an attack range of 12" (like a B1)
> 2) Have limited shots like a scattergun or SM
> 3) Be able to target any fighter or missile in
> range
> 4) Be fireable at fighters or missiles attacking
> the mounting ship like PDS but before the
> fighters can fire
> 5) I'd suggest it is the equivalent of 3 PDS
> shots (3 dice, PDS effects).
> 6) arc limited
> 7) Like PDS, mounts it own tracking/homing
> therefore does not require a firecon
> 8) I'll guess at a 3-arc version for mass 1. Cost
> is 4 x mass. (logic: Unlike ADFC, it doesn't allow
> all beam-1s and PDS to shoot at fighters in the
> area of effect, just this system. It is more potent
> than a single 1mass, 3 point PDS but can't fire
> repeatedly and has limited arc coverage. Hence
> more expensive than a single PDS but only
> slightly).
>
> Now, my guestimate for mass and cost for
> MRIM rounds is just that. Comments on
> cost/mass/performance I'd be interested to
> here. (Note, my FT gaming tends to be vector
> with 3" radius for attacking SMs if that matters
> in the discussion).

Well, I think it might be worth checking out the archive or the WDA for
Bif Smiths AFHAWKS - which fill a similar duty, but are launched from
standard SMLs.
Ok, the range is a bit less, 9 mu rather than the 12 you propose (both
are 3-arc), while the damage is higher - 1d6 kills rather than 3 PDS
dice.
IIRC the possibility of a single shot AF-SMR (AFHAWKS SMR) was never
really discussed - comparison with SMR/SML suggests a MASS of 3, COST of
9, while comparison with a KV scattergun suggests a MASS of 2, COST of
6.

Also, there is the possibility of extended range AFHAWKS, the size of
regular, or even extended range salvo missiles, and a rather longer
range (either placed marker ordance with standard ranges, or direct
fire, range 12 mu for 2 MASS, or 15mu for 3 MASS).

A thought - with longer ranged anti-fighter weapons, that can attack
passive fighters - do they still attack during the resolve PDS fire
phase (yes if in Area Defence use), or when the ship fires its main
weapons?

I belive this idea has been raised on this thread already - any idea if
it is balanced? - note that with placed marker anti-fighter ordinance,
the fighters can always burn CEF to run away (which would be the
intention).

Charles

Prev: Re: [sg] Bagpipers, NAC Next: Re: Sa'Vasku