Prev: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance? Next: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

Re: beams and shooting at fighters

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:09:08 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: beams and shooting at fighters

On 14-Jun-01 at 10:05, Thomas Barclay (kaladorn@fox.nstn.ca) wrote:
> While the iron is hot....
>
> My big beef, from a recent game, is with the
> inability of ships to engage non-attacking
> fighters. Here's the situation: Landing assault on
> a planet. Assaulting player is losing transports.
> But his fighters (having wiped out the
> defenders) are utterly safe because the
> defender can't fire at them if they don't attack.
> He says to me "Why don't I put my marines
> aboard fighters since they're invulnerable?". He
> was being facetious, but the point was valid.
> Since ADFC is uncommon in FB designs, and the
> defending fleet had none (mostly small ships
> like CVs, FFs and DDs), they were utterly unable
> to swat the pesky fighters flying around. They
> could kill any OTHER object on the board....
>
> I wonder if there is a good way to address this.

We have a house rule that ADFC allows you to fire
at _any_ fighters within 6 inches.  Doesn't seem
to have any negative impact that we have seen and
makes ADFC escorts go out and hunt down fighters.

Prev: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance? Next: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?