Prev: beams and shooting at fighters Next: Re: beams and shooting at fighters

Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 07:07:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

--- Roger Books <books@mail.state.fl.us> wrote:
> I feel what is there currently is balanced.  It is
> my opinion that changing this will swing the balance
> and mess up the game.  Therefore I am going to argue
> against this change.

That's ok with me.

> A "point of view" might be helpful here.  We play
> campaigns.  We don't play many one-offs.  Our ships
> are all designed to handle the high number of
> fighters
> and SMs seen.  PDSs and ADFCs work fine for this.
> I don't want to see fighters go away in our
> campaign,
> and that is what weakenning fighters and missiles
> will do.

My group has talked about campaigns, but hasn't ever
played one. I'm not convinced it would weaken
fighters if it was done right. After all, the points
you put into any new anti-missile system or beams
which could fire on small objects are the
same points you'd put into PDS's or fighters. It
could be made to balance out and just provide a
little variety. It might just allow one group to
be a little different, but no more powerful.

I DO have a prejudice against fighters that
probably stems from my Star Trek genre origins,
but I don't think that fighters would be all
that disadvantaged, especially if an extra cost
system were used to allow other beams to fire
on them. The point cost of this system could
balance against the cost of extra pds's. It's
use wouldn't be to make for a more powerful ship,
but only to make the ship feel a little different.

But by all means, if I want to comment on possible
new systems, it's your right (and maybe duty)
to pipe up if you don't think it's a good idea.

Prev: beams and shooting at fighters Next: Re: beams and shooting at fighters