Prev: Re: beams and shooting at fighters Next: Re: Gurkhas uploaded

Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

From: David Griffin <carbon_dragon@y...>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 07:16:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] Should all Beams fire at fighters/ordinance?

--- Derk Groeneveld <derk@cistron.nl> wrote:

> Yes, I noticed this as well. However, PDS + ADFC
> seems to reflect some of
> those capabilities. Given that 6" is a significant
> range, apparantly PDS
> is not _necessarily_ short ranged, it's juist the FC
> that makes it so.

There's some justification to this, but I don't
quite buy it. You still fire just once, not
as the enemy enters each "range band" so it still
feels like just 1 system to me.

> Ah... But since even the big ones lack the longer
> range SMM's
> (ship-missilie missile's), it makes sense that the
> fighters don't have it
> either ;)

Ship missile missile? Do you mean Air to Air
missiles or Air to Surface missile? A phoenix
like system in FT would, I think, target enemy
fighters at long range, or enemy missiles.

There certainly are aircraft like the Super
Entendard which fire long range standoff ASM's
at ships with good effect.

> I was going to point out in reply to an earlier post
> that _projectile_
> gatlings are AT LEAST as limited as missile
> launchers. But yes, energy
> beam gatlings are not. Let's just clal it a rapid
> fire energy weapon,
> then?

That's what I always thought, but it's all kept
deliberately vague by GZG.

Prev: Re: beams and shooting at fighters Next: Re: Gurkhas uploaded