Prev: Re: [FT] JTLs Genre fighters. Incomplete. Next: Re: [FT] JTLs Genre fighters. Incomplete.

Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 17:38:20 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] Scale in Full Thrust

At 7:21 PM +0100 6/6/01, Bif Smith wrote:

>This is from memory, excuse me if I`m wrong.
>
>The displacement is different for liners, merchants and warships. A
>merchant`s mass/displacement is the cargo capacity, the liner is the
volume
>times a mass level, and a military ship is the mass of the armour and
>components installed.

There is more to it than armour on the military ships. Engines, hull,
aux gear, etc. also factor in. I've always understood it to be total
displacement of water...still hmm lets check with an expert...

 From the sci.military.naval FAQ, Andrew Toppan is the maintainer, he
also runs a damn nice Naval Information site.

http://www.hazegray.org/faq/smn2.htm#B8

Section B.8: Ship Displacements

What do all those displacement terms mean? The following is a general
guide; the exact definitions vary from nation to nation and change
over time.

*	Light: Empty ship without any stores, fuels, munitions, crew,
etc. aboard.
*	Standard: As defined in the Washington and London Treaties:
"the ship complete, fully manned, engined, and equipped ready for
sea, including all armament and ammunition, equipment, outfit,
provisions and fresh water for crew, miscellaneous stores and
implements of every description that are intended to be carried in
war, but without fuel or reserve feed water on board."
*	Normal: As Standard, but with two-thirds supply of stores and
fuel (USN). Also can include all fuels, oils, and water. This is
typically an "average" operational displacement.
*	Full load: Fully loaded ship: all stores, supplies,
munitions, fuel, crew, etc. aboard. Wartime allowances as applicable.
*	Deep load: Same as Full Load.
*	Deadweight Tons The carrying capacity of the ship in tons,
including cargo, crew, passengers, fuel, supplies, munitions, etc.
The difference between full load and light ship.

The following are measures of volume not weight, and are applied only
to merchant vessels:

*	Net Registered Tonnage (NRT): Measure of the internal volume
of the ship which is used for for carrying cargo (i.e. excluding all
areas not used to carry cargo).
*	Gross Registered Tonnage (GRT): Measure of total internal
volume of a ship, in units of 100 cubic feet, with the following
areas excluded: machinery spaces, bridge/navigation spaces, and other
minor spaces essential to the operation of the ship.

>Oh, a HH SD would have a mass of 75000 mass (YES, 75 thousand!!!) with
the
>mass given in FT of 1 mass equals 100 tonnes. This is because the mass
of a
>SD in HH is given at 7.5 million tonnes. There is also the mass of a
>fortress is given at 16 million tonnes. The only problem given is that
>someone worked out that the given masses for a HH SD is too low for the
>volume given. The desity of a SD would be the same as styrofoam! Not
exactly
>battlesteel is it?

Wow, I was low...I came up with the 2-3000 mass value just looking at
the concept for a LAC carrier assuming each LAC were in the 20-30
mass range.

The crew size and physical dimensions of the vessels also gives one
an idea of the scale of difference between HH and FT. But then, look
how far in the future HH is. Compare Battleship growth from 1900 to
1945. They started out at 14,000 tonnes or so and were at 60-70,000
tonnes by the end of WWII. Pretty good growth curve in 45 years.

- Ryan Montieth Gill		 ----------	      SW1025 H -
-   Internet Technologies  --  Data Center Manager (3N &10S)   -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 rmgill@mindspring.com -
-		   www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       -
- C&R-FFL -	  The gunshow loophole isn't		 - NRA -
-	     keep federal laws out of private lives	       -

Prev: Re: [FT] JTLs Genre fighters. Incomplete. Next: Re: [FT] JTLs Genre fighters. Incomplete.