Prev: RE: Re: Getting nailed from Way Far Away (tm) Next: Re: Sensors

Re: Sensors

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 16:53:18 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Sensors

On  1-Jun-01 at 16:32, Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com) wrote:
> At 8:32 AM -0400 6/1/01, Roger Books wrote:
> >OK, I'm going to do my standard "Sensors as they affect game play".
> >
> >If you are going to have sensors that only work insystem and give
> >you full info at greater than 36" you might as well not even
> >bother.
>

> >Why?
> >
> >Campaign:  I jump insystem.	We play all kinds of nifty sensor
> >games.  We get outside weapons range, realize one force is
> >superior, the inferior force jumps out.
>
> What if the Superior force is attacking an inferior force that must
> defend. The inferior force is going to want to do as much as they can
> do deny the superior force information.

With beyond 36" sensors I will just run into non-spoof range and
look.  I don't care much what you show me unless you want to
divide your forces and let me defeat  you in detail.

> I'm concerned with sensors more due to much reading of the Honor
> Harrington books plus accounts of naval battles where you don't know
> all of what is there. Greater than 36" sensor range lets you know
> something is there, but what?

Sensor mechanics in HH are useful well inside affective combat
distances.

Roger

Prev: RE: Re: Getting nailed from Way Far Away (tm) Next: Re: Sensors