Prev: Maritime Strike Bombers Next: Re: Sensors

Re: Sensors

From: Derk Groeneveld <derk@c...>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 07:17:41 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: Sensors

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Ryan M Gill wrote:

> At 11:35 PM +0200 5/29/01, Derk Groeneveld wrote:
> >  > That assumes that targets are emmitting. A target at total
> >>  EMCON will presumably be relying on totally passive sensors.
> >>  Say a vessel (in space) moving ballistically and not
> >>  thrusting.
> >>
> >>  By relying on ESM systems you are looking at the various
> >>  fire control radars, navigation radars, long range
> >>  communications, search radar, weather scopes, data links,
> >>  Talk between ships radio, and other electronic garbage that
> >>  ships emmit.
> >
> >Yes. But so is any passive sensor.
> >

> I'm not sure what you are saying here. Is it that Passives are like
> the above ESM? I was essentially talking about Passives.

Okay, I thought you were commenting on ESM in specific.

> >  > Further, just relying on passive sensors to recognize a
> >>  vessel will lead to funny incidents of "seeing" a harmless
> >>  tanker when in reality it is a CVA dressed up with the same
> >>  active emmissions.
> >
> >Then again, there's the same risk with active sensors. Also, you;'re
> >assuming everything CAN be disguised/masked (see below, engines
> discussion)
>
> Ahh, but with actives and passives you'll have more information to
> make your decision. Passives are using your eyes and ears in a dark
> room. Active is using a little pen light to see a specific object.
> (naturally you know this)

Of course a combination of the two is the most effective approach. No
argument there.

But as for actives being a little pen light, well, I'm not sure I agree.
Active _tracking_ is a little pen light, but active search sensors are
more like a whopping wide beam.

> >Similarly, a sailing vessel can be given a nimitz-size reflection by
using
> >a simple retro-reflector...
> >

> Reflection against what? Passives?  And from what aspect? (Space is
> 3D, much harder to predict your aspect) It'll be hard to disguise a
> sailing vessel from mm wave radar. A decent mm wave set can pick out
> what style of rigging one would have.

Reflection would be against active sensors, of course.

Mmmm. I guess you can use mm radar in space at a lot longer ranges than
on
earth; on earth atmospheric dampening greatly limits mm waves.

> The only thing I'd think that mm wave radar would have a hard time
> with would be a very well done Q-ship. Besides, the whole principle
> of mm-wave radar and its fine resolution is the basis for the ability
> of Enhanced and Superior sensors to figure out what the current
> status of a vessel is. ("Ok, his drives are down and geeze look at
> that big hole in his port side weapons array, he's definately weak on
> that side sir. His VLS system looks mostly popped too, so he's not
> got much fight left in him...")

Sounds sensible.

> >Yes, but you're not going to do much ranging until you've acquired
the
> >target, meaning that EITHER passive sensors were good enough to
acquire
> >the target, OR you had to go active anyhow.
>
> Ranging can be accomplished with passives too.
> Inferometric/stadio-metric triangulation.
> I don't see needing Cepheid variables to figure out how far away that
> Eurie BDN is...

I'm not familiar with Cepheid variables? As for
triangulation, with the ranges involved with space combat, I doubt you
could do it with the sensors on one ship alone. I'm not familiar with
inferometric ranging, so I have no clue how that'd work for you ;)

> >Similar to modern passive sonar, where the noise can be related to
> >specific ships.
> >

> I suspect that one would be able to tell what mass/drive power the
> ship is by the Main drive/maneuvering drive efflux. Lots of charged
> ions and you've got a big ship or a small ship using lots of power.
> Figure out the Delta Vee and you've got the Mass and Drive Power at
> that time Pegged. That closes your envelope of possible ships by a
> large margin.

Also, the drives might have unique resonance frequencies etc? Sir, we've
seen this ship before, it's .... Then again, there might be a wartime
tuning of this frequency to a different one than peacetime?

Cheers,

  Derk
Version: GnuPG v1.0.4 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Made with pgp4pine

iD8DBQE7FIJ9JXH58oo6ncURAqV1AJ9x4adgO/mJChVQm64NqDZJcSqOyQCePAZI
ZZjwoxua/uF8aNxZZ95s/zw=
=8kX3

Prev: Maritime Strike Bombers Next: Re: Sensors