Prev: Re: Getting nailed from Way Far Away (tm) Next: Re: Sensors

Maritime Strike Bombers

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 01:16:07 -0400
Subject: Maritime Strike Bombers

Ok, I worked up the basics for the Bombers. I've had this idea for a
good while. I'd built an SWACS a good while back last year or so and
tried it once. The model had me thinking about bombers the day I made
it and now I've decided to throw some fiction in as well. Its going
to both the Atlanta Full Thrust list as well as the International GZG
list.

At the bottom is the information about the Strike Bombers. Let me
know what you think. The big question is the speed. I wanted to
capture the effect of extra speed that Bombers sometimes seem to have
over interceptors over the history of the type. Fast fighters can
catch them easily but only if you buy them. Otherwise you've got to
be in the right place at the right time. I figure the 4 CEF's limits
the After Burner (Reheat for the Commonwealth types) CEF burns.

I don't really en-vison these guys flying off of carriers. Though I
suppose that could be arranged. They take more space and seem to be
more akin to the bigger bombers.

*******

The mission had droned on for hours...Major Michael Jennings glanced
at his copilot, Lt Genie McCandles, who had her visor darkened,
peering at the projected virtual imagery of the 'Eurie' convoy and
the surrounding space. Glancing at his HUD, Jennings noted that they
were still on course for the target. The Euries had been shuttling
supplies towards the Free Korean space for several weeks now and the
Admiralty had decided to pinch their supplies off.

There had been waffling in Parliament for weeks as to whether the NAC
was going to help the Koreans or not. Finally after what had seemed
like months it had been agreed it was time to fight again. So, the
Euries, attention directed elsewhere, were in for more blows after
several years of grudging peace. This was as good a time to try out
the new bombers as any. And, in a good tactical situation too. This
wasn't against the pair of Konstantin CVAs that this convoy was bound
for.

They'd spent months training. He had liked the idea from the time
he'd heard of it and had jumped at the chance to try a new ship. They
didn't maneuver as fast as the smaller craft, but they were faster.

Operating from fixed bases was much easier too. However the long
flight times from one side of the system to the other seemed to drag
on for ever. The big plus was being able to actually get up and go to
the head, that sure beat using piss bag that he'd used as a
Lieutenant when flying Attack fighters in the Black Lions.

"There they are!" Genie reported. Major Jennings looked at the
tactical display. The NAC raiding squadron of 4 Vandenberg Heavy
Cruisers, 2 Black Prince Battle Cruisers and 2 Beatty Class Fast
Battle ships, had the Euries running. Several of the Eurie Frigates
and Cruisers were already streaming reaction mass and atmosphere.
Jennings could just make out several drifting hulks as more data was
transferred over the 'whisker net'. Several more vessels were out
ahead of the convoy trying to escape. They were dealt with quickly by
the Battleships, Battle Cruisers and Cruisers.

The line of Eurasion Solar Union Warships and merchantman stretched
out for 8,000 Kilometers. There were still 3 Novogorod Frigates and
three Tibet class Light Cruisers. There were also a good number of
merchant vessels present. Looking closer he realized that one of the
central vessels was a warship.

"Damn!...We're trailing them. This isn't where we're supposed to be.
Someone got the timing off... How's our intercept vector? "

"not great, but not bad." We should be able to land most of our
birds. If the Euries evade, then they'll loose all their cohesion and
then they're lunch."

"Hmm, what's that center vessel?"

"Oh! Looks like an escort carrier of some kind. Its definitely not a
Tsiolkovsky."

"Fighters?"

"The tactical officer on the Nelson reports that the fighters are
holding position 4000 Kay from the Eurie ships. It looks like 3
groups. They aren't engaging, just running Interference."

Jennings breathed a silent 'thanks'. He wasn't sure he wanted to see
how the Bombers faired against real pilots. They were faster mostly,
but if the intercept vectors were right, they'd be in very deep if
those Eurie fighters came out to play.

"Range?"

"30000 Kay almost on the dot" Jennings knew, but he was verifying
just to be doubly sure....'measure twice, cut once' as they say...

"Eagle One to all ships! Arm your birds! Fire when ready. I say
again, Fire When Ready. "

"Genie, fire when you're ready..."

"Birds Away!" Genie almost shouted.

Jennings glanced out the left cockpit window and then the right. He
could just make out the launch signatures of the nearer missiles in
the strike package. 36 Thunder Strike Extended range Salvo Missiles
and 24 Space Lance Heavy Anti Ship Missiles in all. He'd never see
them all as the distance between the 3 groups of 18 bombers was too
great.

Jennings peered at the HUD and keyed the mode from his side stick.
The icons for all of the bombers in the strike package changed from
Green to Amber nearly simultaneously. They'd all launched. There
wasn't any hung ordinance and no targeting problems.

"All Birds Tracking"

"Eagle One to all ships, execute turn Sierra X-Ray"

As one, all of the bombers began a rapid turn to port and all fired
their main thrusters to change their heading fast.

"How are they tracking?"

"Most of the Tango-Sierras are homing, looks like a few have
wandered, Looks like a 60% strike. All of the Sierra-Lima's are
tracking, but the the rear units don't appear to have enough energy.
hhhmmm...I make 5 that won't intercept."

"Damn, better than average, but worse than the simulations...We need
work on the final approach vectors. Wing Commander Carter won't be
happy, but then I'm not either".

As they watched, the faster salvo missiles converged with ships. The
few fighters converged on their carrier to protect it. PDS fire
flickered and icons for missiles winked out as they were destroyed
short. Then a Bulk Carrier exploded along with a Voroshilev Heavy
Cruiser. A Frigate exploded as well.

After what seemed like hours but was only 10 minutes the much larger
missiles converged with their targets. The fighters again tried to
protect their charges. But this these were much harder to stop.
Several ships were struck with electromagnetic pulses and finely
focused beams from Bomb pumped X-Rays that targeting specific
systems. Some began to drop out of the formation. Another heavy
freighter died to a combination of beam fire from the NAC warships
and missile warheads.

Out in the cold of space, men were dying. Some were not. Those that
survived would be picked up by the Raider group and interred in POW
camps. Strangely they'd be better off. Stories told of the brutal
conditions on many of the ESU warships. Especially the smaller ones.
Only the larger vessels had anything approaching the conditions that
the NAC had aboard ship.

The Captain of the Iron Duke, a Black Prince class fast
Battlecruiser, whiskered a 'thanks for the assist' at the 3 bomber
groups.

Satisfied that it was time to leave, Jennings ordered the wing to
execute the turn to the next Nav point on the way home.

*******
Full Thrust Strike Bombers

10 Pts each (60 pts for a squadron)
Size 2 craft (double that of Fighters)
Mv 30"/turn (occurs during fighter movement)
12" Secondary Move (occurs during normal Secondary Move phase)
4 CEF
Dog-fight on 6's (tail guns)
Carry 1 of 2 strike packages (Fired During Ordinance Phase)
Either 1 ER Salvo Missile package or 2 MT Missiles

They operate as normal fighters and use the CEF burns to escape
intercepting fighters. They can out run fighters, but not for long.

They do engage ships outside of the normal fighter envelope as they
have stand off weapons. The missiles are fired in the normal
Ordinance phase, meaning they will have moved and then fired. This
gives an option for a hard turn and the beginning of a 12" burn away
from the target area for home at the "allocate fighter attacks phase".

In the first useage they ended up working quite well. Fighter cover
was torn between attempting to intercept them or the missiles. I
settled on the ER salvos based on tactical doctrine plus the fact
that they are "theoretically" moving forwards pretty fast from the
launching platform, they'd not need to be accelerating from a
"slower" moving vessel.

I built the figs by hacking apart two standard fighters of differing
types. They end up looking pretty good sized and certainly seem
appropriate.

I haven't decided if Advanced Bomber Types would be a good idea or
not. Obviously if so then the Fast/Long Range/Heavy forms are the
only appropriate. They'd be expensive and I think over the top.

Ryan
--
- Ryan Montieth Gill		DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com  I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -

Prev: Re: Getting nailed from Way Far Away (tm) Next: Re: Sensors