Prev: Re: DS II: Combat Walkers Next: Re: FT-Battleships

Re: No idea what I am doing. Help!

From: Andy Cowell <andy@c...>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 15:25:19 -0500
Subject: Re: No idea what I am doing. Help!

In message <3AE4D906.5A42632@pacbell.net>, thwaak writes:

> 1)	Can you make support weapon teams, with two or more support
> weapons?

You betcha.

> 2)	Do they all fire under one action?

It depends.  They can all fire in support of small arms.  Without
small arms, they may only be fired by themselves.

> Reason I ask: A player made a detached element of his SAW and AGL
> troopers. When  he transferred actions, do they fire in unison? Or one
> action per weapon?  If they fire in unison, whose FP do you use?

According to the rules, they may not be fired in unison (without
additional small arms fire).

> 3)	If a squad fires it's weapons, but only the two support weapons
> are in range, whose FP do you use?
>
> Reason I ask: Same player made a assault shotgun squad (close range
> only), but also gave them a standard SAW and IAVR. If they choose to
> shoot (and use the SAW and IAVR to support), and the range to target
is
> greater than the first range band, only the support weapons can reach.

I don't think we have any official answer on this one.	I would say,
if your SAWs and IAVRs are supporting small arms fire, and the small
arms fire is out of range, they have no effect.  They were ordered to
support an ineffective action.

> 4)	As it is apparent on the model, most OUDF troops come with a
> one-shot IAVR.  Can more than one OUDF trooper fire his IAVR in
support?

Yes.

> If an entire squad is equipped with IAVR's, can the whole squad fire
> them all at once?

No; somebody has to be firing small arms in order to combine your fire
like this.

> 5)	 The rules seem to imply that when a squad leader is KIA, that
the
> squad takes an additional supression counter, on top of one for being
> hit in the first place. Is this true?

Yes.

> 6)	 For confidence tests...the TL's marked with a '+' seem unlikely
> (except for Artillery/Aerospace attack) to occur with any other event.
> eg; 'Unit is force to ABANDON WOUNDED'.   I can't imagine a situation
> where this would apply as a cumulative. It makes more sense if it was
> it's own event that causes the test.

Well, this is a matter of opinion rather than a question.  As for
Abandoning Wounded specifically, no, I don't see it used too often.

> 7)	Since the rules say "taken as soon as required", and "For each
> currently UNTREATED CASUALTY in unit"...when exactly do you add the
> cumulative? eg: A low mission motivation squad of 6 men looses their
> leader to gunfire.  So far...you have a TL of 3 to test
against.....but
> now as a cumulative you have the untreated casualty of the leader, +1
> TL? This doesn't make sense?

I don't have my chart at hand, so my numbers are incorrect.  I'll
pretend the chart reads as follows:

1st suppression:		     3
Any casualties: 		     2
SL a casualtiy: 		    +3
Each additional untreated casualty: +1

Let's say a squad gets fired upon for the first time.  The fire is
effective, and they get a suppression.	They have to take a test at TL
3-- no modifiers, since they have no untreated casualties.  Now, the
attacker finishes the fire, and your leader is as casualty.  You *NOW*
take a test at TL 2 + 3 = 5.  This is different than what Brian Bell
stated in his answer, but I believe it to be correct.  You're taking
the test because you have already received casualties, and those
casualties count toward your current confidence test.

> Hell....am I making any sense?

Yes, these are good questions.

Prev: Re: DS II: Combat Walkers Next: Re: FT-Battleships