Prev: Re: [FT] WotW #7 Holofields Next: Re: Trees (was Terrain)

Re: [FT] WotW #7 Holofields

From: Shawn M Mininger <smininger@y...>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:49:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] WotW #7 Holofields

I actually upped the mass to 10%.  This may be a bit
high, but the holofield effectively makes it harder to
be hit by ALL weapons (except plasma bolt which is
area effect)

The logic behind this is that my group tends to use a
lot of alternate weapon systems, not just beams.  When
I started thinking about how many more weapons are
covered by the holofield vs. screens, I realized that
I needed to up the mass.

I think 7% would be fair if you were primarily using
ships right out of the books.  My group tends to
custom build our own ships and fleets so we don't use
nearly as many beam weapons (the pulse torp is a huge
favorite in my group.)

--- Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@cableol.co.uk>
wrote:
> In message <002001c0c14d$d1cba280$3fb4893e@inty>
>	    "Bif Smith" <bif@bifsmith.fsnet.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > Sounds logical to me. But would the advantages as
> a level 1 screen against
> > everything except plasma bolts balance out it`s
> advantages against weapons
> > that curently ignore screens? My feeling is it
> would require a mass sligtly
> > higher than a sheild/screen, btu couldn`t be used
> with sheilds active at the
> > same time (psb-the emmisions from the sheild
> cancell the advantages from the
> > holofeild).
> >
> > BIF
> >  "yorkshire born,yorkshire bred,
> >  strong in arms, thick in head"
> >

> Well, as written, it has a higher MASS and COST than
> a level 1 screen
> (7% of hull MASS as opposted to 5%) - I was just
> wondering if this was
> enough to cover the added advantages. (probably is).
>
> Also, PSB for why you can't use it with a vapour
> shroud - the shroud
> blots out the holo-distortions and so negates the
> effect :-)
>
> It doesn't work with cloaking devices either (for a
> similar reason) -
> not that anyone would notice ;-)
>
> Charles

=====
Thank You,

Shawn M Mininger

Prev: Re: [FT] WotW #7 Holofields Next: Re: Trees (was Terrain)