Prev: Re: [FT] WotW #7 Holofields Next: Re: Terrain

Re: Trees (was Terrain)

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 12:29:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Trees (was Terrain)

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, John Crimmins wrote:

> <excerpt><excerpt>At 08:58 PM 4/9/01 -0500, you wrote:
>
> </excerpt></excerpt><<<<<<<<

> best recommendation for 1/300 trees?

> GHQ included a strip of bumpy chenille, which can be cut up into some
> pretty nice 1/300 scale pine trees.  A picture of this stuff, and the
> technique for making trees out of it, can be found at:
>
> http://hometown.aol.com/servitor/Ogreindex/ogrindex.htm
>
> ...follow the Ogre Miniatures link, and then go to "Fabrication
Central".
>  It's certainly a simple thing to make.  Being appalling lazy, though,
> usually just use pieces of lichen placed atop shapes that have been
cut
> out of green felt.  No fiddly tree stands to worry about that way.

You can buy Bumpy Chenille at any craft store, in packs of 12 one-foot
strips for a buck - Canadian, at that. (65 cents US, something stupid in
UK pence...) Based singly or in pairs on pennies, I've got a good, cheap
bag'o'trees for an evenings work.

We use felt patches for forest areas as well, with two or three trees
per
area just to remind us that they're forests. Big tree stands look great,
but they're fragile and hard to game with...

12 feet of bump chenille makes a load of one-inch-1.5-inch trees!

Brian - yh728@vitoria.tc.ca -
- http://warbard.iwarp.com/games.html -