Prev: Re: [SGII] question Next: Re: Alien PA

Re: 15mm vehicles?

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 15:24:23 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: 15mm vehicles?

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Roger Books wrote:

> So what is being used for 15mm vehicles, I really like this
> scale for my troops, but want to be able to throw in the
> occasional tank, apc, or civilian craft.

The main sources of 15mm vehicles in our group are, in no particular
order:

- Roco Minitanks (1/87th HO scale) - I've got a trio of German Marder
IIIs
redone with hoverskirts. Slightly overscale for 15mm, but not hugely.

- plastic kits - usually 1/72nd scale; the basic Airfix/etc ones,
sometimes 'SFed' into grav or hover vehicles. I also made a VTOL from
1/144 scale aircraft kits - it's technically undersized, but it's an
aircraft so it doesn't matter much. For kits and the Roco stuff, get
vehicles you aren't going to recognize instantly - for Canada, that
means
European stuff, mostly.

- DP9's Heavy Gear line - the new walkers make great size 1 infantry
walkers; we run a LOT of these damn things.

- kid's toy trucks/cars - I've got a couple of trucks that I've
repainted,
and some of the more outlandish vehicles could make really cool SF cars.
One of these days I'm going to spend a couple of hours in a good toy
store...

Brigade in the UK are doing new, resin 15mm vehicles, which look good in
the pictures I've seen. Stan Johansen in the US do several 15mm SF
vehicles, of which I've heard mixed reviews. Various other manufacturers
have one or two 15mm vehicles in their SF lines, but no more.

Did someone say that Tabletop Miniatures really is dead? Pity, they had
some interesting stuff...

Hope this helps,

Brian - yh728@victoria.tc.ca -
- http://warbard.iwarp.com/games.html -

Prev: Re: [SGII] question Next: Re: Alien PA