Prev: Re: FMAS names Next: Re: That Age Thing AND FMAS names

Childish things was Re: That Age Thing

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:27:03 EST
Subject: Childish things was Re: That Age Thing

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 12:05:26 -0600 "Mark A. Siefert"
<siefertma@wauknet.com> writes:
<snip>
>    I have just one question:	What's the age limit on having a good
>time in
>this society?	Where is does it say (beside that stupid St. Paul
>quote) that
>I can't have a little "childish" fun?	  Huh.... HUH!!!  ANSWER ME!
><sob.... sob....>
>
>Later,
>Mark A. Siefert

I assume this was said for effect *but* just in case there is some
significant person in your life twisting scripture that badly -

The exact quote (1 Corinthians 13:11:)
"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I
reasoned like a child.	When I became a man, I put childish ways behind
me."

Sounds pretty bad, right?  Baloney (as opposed to what I could say) -
the
quote comes from a long series of comments about (according to the
Revised Standard Version - 'unity in diversity' (pre-PC) and 'specific
gifts' (as in the Holy Spirit) and that verse comes from Paul's
soliloquy
on divine love) - to wit "...Love is patient, love is kind. It does not
envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It is not rude, it is not
self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrong.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always
protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never
fails...(insert the part above)...and now these three remain: faith,
love, and hope.  But the greatest of these is love."

NOTHING about 'being mature' or conforming to the world's standards -
actually just the opposite but we won't go there now... <little grin>

I once asked why there is every valid emotion attributed to Jesus except
"Jesus laughed" and heard an interesting answer from a pastor - "I
expect
you don't record the everyday, normal 'boring' behavior."

In other words, scripture doesn't demand you give up joy - in the
reality
it's commanded that (Phillipians 4:8) - "Finally brothers, whatever is
true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever
is
lovely, whatever is admirable - think on such things."	Maybe Matchlocks
on the Warpath is not the top end of those things but it certainly a lot
better	then what passes for 'adult entertainment' on the mass media.
Temptation Island??  Survivor??!!

So, in summation, if there is some jerk using twisted scripture to bash
your over the head about war games ('playing with toys') I suggest you
refer him to the God who created us to see the honor in the sacrifice
for
God, King and Country (not necessarily all three at once) and the pure
love of those you defend.  And if it seldom achieves that level in real
terms that is because we are imperfect in our current state not because
the model is wrong.  If Jesus hung around drunks, tax collectors and
prostitutes then I should have no fear about hanging around war gamers
(Historical, Science Fiction or even /Fantasy/.)

And **no** apologies.  If war was good enough for God (Joshua 10:11,
Revelation 19:11) then it's good enough for me! <grin>

Gracias, Glenn/Triphibious (American Mongrel)
You don't have to be French to be a 'frog', or even human!
Nektons - Real Marines! (Die, Ralnai, Die!)
Starguard, Dirtside 2,	Ratner's Space Marines, Stellar Conflicts
and Uprisings, and Full Thrust/2nd.  Resistance is everything!

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: FMAS names Next: Re: That Age Thing AND FMAS names