Prev: RE: [FT] One-shot Pulse Torpedos -- any playtested stats? Next: RE: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

Re: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

From: Charles Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 19:04:03 GMT
Subject: Re: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons

In message <p04320404b6ae3295abdb@[63.201.231.213]>
	  Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <s_schoon@pacbell.net> wrote:

> [snipped all weapons]
>
> My basic problem with EMP weapons is that they are nearly impossible
> to balance. The same gun that hits a scout, rolling a check for every
> system, is VASTLY different than the effect on a SDN, particularly
> for those weapons that suggest a 4-6 check on every ship system.
>
> I could see an EMP weapon that affected a set number of systems as
> being potentially viable (perhaps related to class), but the blanket
> "roll a threshold for everything" is inviting the same unbalancing
> factors of the Nova Cannon, etc.
>
> Schoon

Which is the main reason I proposed my 'virtual damage' system -
although, as has been pointed out, it has its own problems.

I think the only reasonable way to attempt to balance 'Blanket Threshold
weapons' (like the MT EMP Missile) is to balance them against Capital
Ships (say an 'average' 200 or more MASS SDN) - which is probably what
they are likely to be fired at anyway :-).

Hmm.. - lets use a FB1 Komarov for an example - 88 hull = 22 hull per
row - to do a Threshold (6) requires 22 damage - thats the equivalent of
27.5 beam dice or about 6.3 dice where roll=damage.
Ok, as we're not _really_ doing damage, the cost should be reduced, even
so, it will be expensive, and the weapon will only be cost-effective
against large targets.

My system still uses blanket thresholds, but makes large targets harder
to effect.

Prev: RE: [FT] One-shot Pulse Torpedos -- any playtested stats? Next: RE: [FT] WotW 2: EMP Weapons