Prev: Re: Dirtside Question: Zero or low G combat Next: Re: Winter War 28

Re: Dirtside Question: Zero or low G combat

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 09:58:40 +1100
Subject: Re: Dirtside Question: Zero or low G combat

G'day Noel,

 >In a nutshell, we are not only dealing with visibility issues.
 >I know it would be hard to account for, but how much would
 >the sensors be effected by a shorter horizon?

If they can "see" through or around the curvature of the planet then not
lot, the question then becomes what happens to the round if you still
fire
at the longer ranges? I guess missiles would go with the curvature, but
wouldn't lasers etc just keep going (ignoring deflections off the
atmosphere) straight off the planet (and so the horizon becomes the
effective upper range anyway)?

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: Dirtside Question: Zero or low G combat Next: Re: Winter War 28