Prev: [FT] Vacuum-Head Help Required! Next: Re: Am I a Republic revisionist? Re: Sci-Fi Crossover afteraction report

Re: Am I a Republic revisionist? Re: Sci-Fi Crossover after

From: stiltman@t...
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:38:24 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Am I a Republic revisionist? Re: Sci-Fi Crossover after

> As for the fighter models, I was commenting on Oerjan's comment that
> fighters cost too little unless you use the morale rules. I was
wondering
> how much people on the list figured they were overpriced by.

I think they're just fine as is, myself.  The designs in the book are
okay
because they have relatively small densities of both fighters and PDS,
as
compared to what you _could_ get if you customized your ships.	If
someone
disturbs that balance by custom-designing ships with more fighters, the
other
guy can just as easily re-establish it by customizing their own with
more
PDS.  If you make it scatterguns, the fighters become outright wastes of
space if you don't also bring a backup weapon to burn the scatterguns
off
so that the fighters can actually do something without getting shredded
en
masse.

Yes, all this means that certain tactics need to be adopted if custom
games
are going to increase the fighter densities being used.  Yes, it means
that
you probably shouldn't split off ships from the main force without
fighter
cover, because that's basically telling your opponent that you think
you've
got too many ships around and you'd like to get rid of a few at discount
rates.	(Actually, splitting any fleet in a manner that your opponent
can hit
just part of it at a time without the rest of your ships for support is
pretty bad idea in general.  Fighters just push the envelope a bit on
how
easy it is to fall into that trap.)  But pound for pound, fighters are
not
underpriced at all as compared to their countermeasures, IMO.  If you
have
too many of one and not enough of the other, someone's going to die
horribly,
and it goes the same way in both directions.
--
 The Stilt Man		      stiltman@teleport.com

Prev: [FT] Vacuum-Head Help Required! Next: Re: Am I a Republic revisionist? Re: Sci-Fi Crossover afteraction report