Prev: Re: Sci-Fi Crossover after action report Next: Re: Am I a Republic revisionist? Re: Sci-Fi Crossover after

[FT] Vacuum-Head Help Required!

From: "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@b...>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 13:39:11 -0500
Subject: [FT] Vacuum-Head Help Required!

Okay, Breathers of The Cosmic Emptiness, please share with me your
wisdom in
its ample supply!

Orbits - I have a bunch of defsats/stations. I want them to orbit a
planet.
Assume the following details in answering the questions:

Planet diameter Dp = 6-8" (6000-8000 km);
Game scale = 1000 km/inch;
Turn length = 15-20 minutes;
Satellites are defense platforms to protect the planet from invasion or
orbital attack.

Q1: Do I want such objects in geosynch or non-geosynch orbit? Why? Why
not?
Q2: In whichever case you suggest is appropriate (geosynch,
non-geosynch),
what is an appropriate distance from the centre of the world to locate
these
satellites for a standard non-decaying orbit?
Q3: How fast should these move in one of these 15-20 minute turns? Would
your answer be measured in angular degrees per turn or in inches along
the
orbital path?
Q4: Would your answers to the above questions change, and how, if these
platforms purpose was to act as ortillery platforms and as surveillance
platforms for the planet rather than defense sats? And would it be
possible
to have one satellite constellation provide both roles? If so, what
orbital
parameters would such a system require?
Q5: Is there any modification to weapon attacks against these platforms
that
is appropriate given they occupy a fairly set movement pattern and are
therefore inherently predicatble? Treat effective range as 75% of actual
range or some such thing?
Q6: Should these be constructed as ships without drives or FTL but
otherwise
as a vessel?

My thanks (in advance) for the replies from the many learned members of
the
list.
Thomas R. S. Barclay
Voice: (613) 722-3232 ext 349
e-mail: tomb@bitheads.com

Now, now my good man, this is no time for making enemies.

Voltaire (1694-1778), on his death bed in response to a priest asking
that
he renounce Satan.

Prev: Re: Sci-Fi Crossover after action report Next: Re: Am I a Republic revisionist? Re: Sci-Fi Crossover after