Prev: Re: Oerjan Ohlson's Wet Dreams Next: Re: [SG] Bell Curve, was Re: Oerjan Dreams

rolling more or less dice for SG2 vehicles/weapons/armour

From: "Barclay, Tom" <tomb@b...>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:21:07 -0500
Subject: rolling more or less dice for SG2 vehicles/weapons/armour

Well,

Hasn't this just stirred it up. I've been doing this now for more than a
year... more like two now. It seems to make the supertanks perform more
admirably (or reasonably) and it seems to make the HKP/4 pointed at the
Recon vehicle more likely to pop the armour 1 target.

Jon, why don't you do what I've come to regard as "the Tuffley Manouvre"
-
specify Die x N as your standard method, and NdX as an alternative for
those
who like to roll more dice. That way you can (in a very easy method)
have
your cake and eat it too!

You all know we'll do thins the way we like anyway, so just put these
two
options together, and there you are. I've found since I use a lot of
vehicles that it makes their relative performance more in line with
their
size and presumed point value (SG2 has no points, but one has to have
some
method of balancing sides even if it is reading tea-leaves or chicken
entrails).

Someone - Peter? Allan? Suggested that varying IAVRs have differing
stats.
The same should pretty much be true of SAWs as well.

You might have
"Old antiquiated IAVR, iron sights, D6* Impact, maximum 3 bands"
"Modern IAVR, limited fire control, D10* Impact"
"Cutting edge IAVR, better fire control, D12* Impact"

Similarly
"SAW, firing light rifle rounds, bipod, no steady harness, D6 FP,
D<rifle>
Impact"
"LMG, firing heavier rounds, bipod, steady harness, D8 FP, D<rifle>
Impact"
"GPMG, firing same heavy rounds, bipod, steady harness or tripod, D10
(D12
if tripod) FP"

Etc.

To some extent SG2 is too granular to show the differences in rifle
qualities. But right now, IAVRs are pretty potent and the SAW (with D10
or
D12 FP) seems to put out a heck of a lot of fire relative to the rest of
the
squad with FP2 rifles. Essentially, it can easily double the FP dice of
squad and that has noticeable ramifications (I'm not doing the math, but
experience has taught me it is nasty). In fact, sometime for a yuk put
two
SAWs in a large squad. Horrendous. OTOH, if you imagine a SAW as a
Minimi/C9
style of weapon, you'd imagine D6 would be a fair firepower die for it.

But, to each his own! That's the nice thing about SG2, it is real easy
modify. It's a hackers dream.

Also, on the topic of hitting moving vehicles with IAVRs and such.... if
you
use staggered movement (standard rules) and you use no opportunity or
snap
fire (definite candidates for inclusion in SG3), then you won't ever
really
fire at a moving vehicle... it'll be stopped. When did it stop? Hard to
say.
What if it only drove a few meters... is that moving? It gets to be a
thorny
question. I like the idea, but it could be hard to do in a
straightforward
way.

Thomas R. S. Barclay
Voice: (613) 722-3232 ext 349
e-mail: tomb@bitheads.com

Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path
and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)

Prev: Re: Oerjan Ohlson's Wet Dreams Next: Re: [SG] Bell Curve, was Re: Oerjan Dreams