Prev: Sv: [SG2] large big arse games of SG2 Next: Chits vs. Dice

Re: SG2 vehicles vs infantry

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 22:10:21 +0100
Subject: Re: SG2 vehicles vs infantry

Peter Mancini wrote:

>>I canNOT accept that a *Green* trooper will destroy or completely
>>disable a super-heavy tank frontally almost 10% of the time, however!
>>Especially not if the target has ERA and/or point defences, but such
>>systems seem to be absent in SGII :-(
>
>From the standpoint of the weapons vs. armor, it does seem
>reasonable.

Not a frontal completely-disabling/destroying hit against a super-heavy
tank, no. We're not talking about shooting up a mere M1A2, you know...

Suspension or System hits, certainly. They're what you can
realistically expect to achieve when firing an LAW at the front of an
extremely heavily armoured target - but they weren't included in the
Pkill values in my previous post.

In addition to the 10-12% chance for a total kill (or complete
disablement) of the level-5 armour tank, the IAVR *also* has an 11-12%
chance of inflicting a Systems hit (F-kill, though possibly only
temporary), and if the target is Tracked, Wheeled or Hover it gets yet
another 12-14% chance of permanently immobilising it (M-kill).

The M- and F-kill figures do seem reasonable. The K-kill one... no. Not
unless the armour developers stop working last year and don't lift a
finger for the next century or two while I and my collegues all work at
least 48 hours a day for the same time, but that won't happen even in
my wettest dreams. Lighter vehicles - fine, super-heavies in the side
or rear - fine, but super-heavies in the front - no.

>However this probably isn't a technology question.

To a large extent it *is* a technology question, yes.

>BattleGround WWII by Easy Eight handles this nicely - if infantry want
>to attack armor they have to make a "half gut" check (morale * 50%).

How important the morale is depends a fair bit on the range of the
weapon, though. WWII infantry shoulder-launched anti-tank weapons had
ranges of around 50 meters, and at max range their hit rates weren't
very good - to get a good chance to actually hit the target, you needed
to get very close to the tank. That's scary, particularly if the tank
doesn't oblige by driving right next to your foxhole so you have to run
up to it.

But in SGII we're talking about hit rates (minor+major) of 90% and
better at 120m and 80+% at 240m (except for Green and Untrained which
are 5-10% lower than the others, and of course unless I've
misinterpreted the rules again - if IAVRs use Heavy Weapon range bands
instead of Support ones it'd be 90+% out to 600m and 80+% to 1200...
makes GMSs look kind of redundant :-/). With that kind of weapon range
it's much easier to stay in cover and still be able to shoot at the
tank - and thus much less scary.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Sv: [SG2] large big arse games of SG2 Next: Chits vs. Dice