Prev: [FT] Salvo Missile Range Next: Re: SG2 vehicle targeting not good enough?

Re: [FT] Salvo Missile Range

From: "Peter Mancini" <peter_mancini@m...>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 14:23:15 EST
Subject: Re: [FT] Salvo Missile Range

Well the obvious answer is to just be more physics correct and give
anything
launched from a ship (fighters included) the same vector as the ship.
The
SRM's then would, relatively speaking, see the launch vehicle as
standing
still (assuming no ACC or direction change).

Of course this is a fundamental change to the way the game is played,
but
with FT3 coming out, perhaps it is a necessary one?

--Peter

>From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@dscc.dla.mil>
>To: "Gzg-L (E-mail)" <gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
>Subject: [FT] Salvo Missile Range
>Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 13:16:45 -0500
>
>SRM range limitation finally came up in a game that I was playing in.
It
>was
>a tail-chase. But both sides were able to exceed a velocity of 24mu
before
>the SML carrying ships could get into range. At this point any SMLs
>launched
>would end up behind the firing ship. Has anyone else had this problem?
>Oerjan (since you are the perceived King of high speed)?
>
>Has anyone toyed with ideas for handling it?
>
>Ship velocity +24mu? Seems OK for the forward arc, but not for side
arcs.
>Ship velocity +12mu? OK for FP and FS, but a little close for Fore arc.
>
>Deviation from the ship's course?
>Arcs of deviation:    Max Range:
>   0			Ship Velocity + 24
>   1			Ship Velocity + 12
>			 (or 24 if greater)
>   2			24
>   3			24 - Ship Velocity
>

>Place SML markers as stated, but then move them the
>same course and velocity as the ship that fired them?
>
>Other Ideas?
>
>-----
>Brian Bell
>bkb@beol.net
>http://www.ftsr.org
>-----

Get more from your time online.  FREE MSN Explorer download :
http://explorer.msn.com
From - Mon Dec 04 11:29:51 2000
From: "Peter Mancini" <peter_mancini@msn.com>
To: gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: SG2 vehicle targeting not good enough?
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 17:50:27 EST
Sender: owner-gzg-l@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

>Now, this is rules lawyering,

It is also specific in the text that you are to play the game not the
rules.
  :-)  Lawyer your way out of that one.  :-P  lol!

--Peter

From owner-gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU  Wed Nov  1 00:01:57 2000
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 08:02:45 +0000
To: gzg-l
From: Ground Zero Games <jon@gzg.com>
Subject: Re: [OT] Selling Figs, old games stuff, etc.
Sender: owner-gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU

>On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 21:30:00 +0000, Ground Zero Games <jon@gzg.com>
wrote:

>>The usual method on THIS side of the big pond is to take them along to
the
>>bring-and-buy at a show, but I don't know how practical this would be
over
>>there......
>
>Most of the conventions in North America are bigger, regional things.
It's a
>function of the fact that the US and Canada (especially Canada) have a
much
>lower population density. Shows tend to be larger but more spread out,
in time
>and location. I drool with envy at the British gaming conventions.

Yes, we could go to at least one if not two shows every weekend through
most of the year if we really wanted to....
As it is, we take the tradestand to about a dozen each year, and none of
them are more than a four-hour drive.

>Of course, driving from Glasgow to London is considered a big deal and
takes,
>what, 8 hours? I'm driving to "Fall In" at Gettysburg in two days:
about 10
>hours from Toronto. GenCon is 12 hours in the other direction.
>
>At conventions, you don't get a lot of what you call "bring and buys".
I'm not
>sure exactly what they are, either. I mean, I can guess based on the
name, but
>I don't know the structure. Is it an auction? Or do you have a table or
booth?
>In North America, you usually only have auctions. Most of them are a
hit and
>miss kind of thing. GenCon, for instance, has so much stuff that it's
easy to
>never see anything you were after. Your stuff often gets lost at
conventions.

A "bring and buy" is a large table run (usually) by the club organising
the
show. Visitors bring their surplus wargame stuff along early in the day,
tell the booking-in chap how much they want for it, and it gets labelled
and put out on the table. Then the frothing hordes browse what's on the
table through the day, if they want to buy something they just pick it
up
and pay the table staff, who will check off who's it is from the label
and
take the money; at the end of the day all the people who put stuff out
for
sale go back to the organisers and get their money (less a commission,
usually around 10%, which goes to the organisers' funds or sometimes to
charity), or to collect their stuff if it's unsold. Works pretty well,
though at big shows the crush of people in front of the table can make
it
almost impossible to see anything till all the best stuff has gone! (Oh,
and whatever you do, DON'T inhale.... <grin>).
Bring and buys are a very good source of bargains, especially painted
figures that people are clearing out, and they are a low-hassle way of
selling if you don't want silly prices for stuff. It isn't good for very
high-value, rare or collectable items. Very occasionally something does
go
"walkies" off the table without being paid for, almost inevitable in the
throng, but it's thankfully rare - gamers generally are an honest lot -
but
the organisers normally state that all stuff is left at owners' risk to
cover themselves.
At the UK shows, even the big ones like Colours and Salute, it works
very well.

Jon (GZG)