Prev: Re: [FT] Salvo Missile Range Next: Re: [FT] Salvo Missile Range

Re: SG2 vehicle targeting not good enough?

From: Allan Goodall <awg@s...>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 17:37:20 -0500
Subject: Re: SG2 vehicle targeting not good enough?

On Thu, 02 Nov 2000 11:25:12 EST, "Peter Mancini"
<peter_mancini@msn.com>
wrote:

>Actually Allen, a quick read of the rules shows that they are indeed
VERY
>specific.

Actually, no it's not. *S*

The paragraph above the one you quote says, "When we get up to support
and
heavy weapons on vehicle or carriage mounts, however, we need to take
into
account sophisticated electronic fire-direction systems that can be
attached
to such weapons."

After that, everything refers to "heavy weapons". No mention is made of
"heavy
and support weapons" or support weapons on their own.

Now, this is rules lawyering, but as I said it's not specific. It is
easy to
infer that you roll Quality and Firecon for vehicle mounted support
weapons.
As I said, though, it's not specific. In fact, the rules go on to talk
about
heavy weapons as separate from support weapons. The rules for 12" range
bands
for vehicles mounting support weapons are likewise unclear. It's obvious
from
context that support weapons on vehicles also get the 12" range bands.
But on
page 40, there is a section on "Heavy Weapon Fire Against Infantry". It
goes
on to only talk about when a vehicle fires its main gun at dispersed
infantry.
But's it's listed as "heavy weapon fire against infantry". In this case,
it's
obvious that "heavy weapon" should not include support weapons.

The problem is that Jon uses the term "heavy weapons" in two ways. In
many
parts of the rules he uses "heavy weapons" to mean, "vehicle/carriage
mounted
main guns and infantry support weapons mounted on vehicles or
carriages". But
in other sections, such as firing "heavy weapons at dispersed targets",
he
uses the term to mean only "vehicle/carriage mounted main guns" and not
support weapons.

Fortunately, though, the rules are clearly enough written and the
mechanics
smooth enough that we can see what Jon implied.

Allan Goodall		       awg@sympatico.ca

Prev: Re: [FT] Salvo Missile Range Next: Re: [FT] Salvo Missile Range