Prev: Fighter details Next: [SG] Tom's vehicle question

RE: Fighter details

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 11:25:06 +1100
Subject: RE: Fighter details

I can answer some of them.

1.	Torpedo fighters only get 1 "volley" with their antiship
weaponry.
Remember that leaves them with 5 CEF and limited antifighter capacity.
This
can be useful to tie up enemy squadrons in a dogfight and may even kill
few.

2.	Fighter launch is a bit odd now, but usually doesn't come up, as
you
can start the game with fighters launched.  The fighters have to be
within
2" for launch/recovery and are recovered as soon as it is declared they
are
being recovered.  Fighters running away from a dogfight still get
slaughtered (free shots), but you could implement a rule that as long as
there is still 1 squadron in contact with the enemy, they don't get the
free
shot (keep'em too busy to chase you).

3.	Screening fighters must have started the turn within 2" of the
ship
they are escorting.  They can either move normally in the Move Fighters
phase OR when the ship it is escorting moves.  Not both.
It can expend endurance as normal after this to move away.

4.	Against salvo missiles/plasmabolts etc, fighters always use
their
antifighter values; so interceptors get their +1 and attack/torpedo get
their "1 kill on 6" roll.

5.	You've got secondary moves right.  They're done during ordinance
phase, when the fighter declares it's own target.  You can secondary
into a
dogfight if you weren't within the 6" you needed to initiate it.
Fighters
can expend 2 CEF here (1 to move, 1 to attack).

6.	Fighters don't have to recover to their own bay, but you can
only
rearm them in a matching bay.  PSB is that the bays don't have the
munitions
/ repair equipment that matches.  Although the fighter types are
generally
semi-modular (variable mission to mission) it's not really within the
scope
of game to reconfigure during combat to a new mission (unless you want
to do
some special rules up).
Sa'vasku are a special case, as they reabsorb the fighters before
growing a
new group to "rearm" them.  It was discussed several months ago that
drones
are a fast repair option.  Starts to smell a little, but valid if you
really
need to apply it.  However, when you look at the rules, they can only
replace biomass the ship has expended itself (for repairs/pod launchers
etc.)

7.	Using fighter Morale is enough of a penalty in itself, without
applying further modifiers.

Neath Southern Skies -http://home.pacific.net.au/~southernskies/
[mkw] Admiral Peter Rollins; Task Force Zulu
[DitD] Captain Puppilier