Prev: Re: Stargrunt III? BDS? Next: RE: Fighter details

Fighter details

From: "Morgan Vening" <morgan@o...>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 10:36:23 +1100
Subject: Fighter details

OK, some questions for the rules monkeys. *smile* these
questions came up in a game I played yesterday. We'll all ignore
me chosing to shoot at the long range Fighters instead of the
Torpedo fighters (I'm dumb. I know).

1) Torpedo Fighters
Torpedo Fighters only get one 'volley' before needing rearming.
How, if any, are they affected by CEF. We found it kind of well
dumb that they are effectively 'Fast' Fighters, because they get 5
turns of being able to move at 36".

2) Launch/Recovery
It's hard to figure out the rules for Fighter Launch/Recovery. The
way we did it, was that Fighters were launched in the Move Ships
(5) Phase, at the midpoint of the ship's move. This meant that
apparently, they only get to secondary move that turn. Which
seems contradictory to what is said in the Turn Sequence in Fleet
Book 2, which says they are moved before those already in flight.
Which means that if the ship is moving fairly fast, the fighters seem
to get left behind. And we had absolutely no idea where to have
Fighters 'recover'. Or how it was handled. Several questions.
-How close do Fighters have to be placed at the point of launch?
We said 2mu(inches), but we had no idea.
-How close do Fighters have to be placed to land?
-Which phase do Fighters dock in?
-It seems that dogfights seem to favour the loser of the Initiative, if
the capacity to tie up Fighters is still in place. Is it?

3) Screening with Fighters.
Fighters move in Phase 3, and then again in Phase 5, correct? Isn't
it a little confusing using the term 'screen' when that is already a
defensive system?

4) Ordnance
When shooting at Salvo Missiles, do Interceptors gain their
additional bonus to hit? Do Attack Fighters/Torpedo Fighters use
their penalties to hit? Do Interceptor Fighters gain the +1 against
Plasma Launchers?

5) Secondary Moves.
In Phase 6, the Allocate Ordnance and Fighter attacks, it lists
Fighters wanting to do a secondary move last. Is it considered
- A Free Move (costing a CEF) done during the declaration of a
target.
- A move that invalidates it firing that turn (not seeming to gel with
other rules).
- All secondary moves done before declaration of Fighter Attacks.
The reason for the vagueness is the placement of the wording, and
also that a Dogfight stops a Fighter from moving. Can I secondary
move IN to a dogfight? Does it have any penalties (other than the 1
CEF?

6) Alternate Landings
Do Fighters have to launch/recover from their own ships? I know
Sa'Vasku can have Drones go from ship to ship as a means of
healing, but it doesn't seem to imply that other fighters can.
Would/should this add a penalty to the Re-Arming rule? Also, if
say an Inflexible Carrier (NAC) has two Torpedo bays, and two
Interceptor bays, and both Torpedo Bays are destroyed to damage,
can the Torpedo Fighters Re-Arm in the Interceptor bays? Vice
Versa?

7) Morale
Assuming Question 6 is a no, has anyone experimented with
Morale modifications for the effects of having a Fighter group's
Carrier destroyed? Assuming Question 6 is a yes, has anyone
experimented with Morale Modifications for the effects of having
more squads than remaining bays in the Carrier Fleet? It was just
discussed, that if a Fighter squad hesitates when it takes
casualties, it might also, if it realises it can not get home.

Morgan Vening
Cabin Boy
VFE Kallon, Suffren LCC

Prev: Re: Stargrunt III? BDS? Next: RE: Fighter details