Prev: RE: Shuttles and ship's small craft Next: Re:[FT] Quick Reference Sheet for Newbies

Re: [FT] vector point balance

From: "Chris DeBoe" <LASERLIGHT@Q...>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 08:27:47 -0400
Subject: Re: [FT] vector point balance

>  >   I'm not sure I'd agree with this.  Your target is guaranteed to
be
within
>  >a circle with a radius of his Thrust rating.  At some specific
distance
>  >away, the width of your fire arc is bigger than the diameter of his
maneuver
>  >envelope....If you can keep your opponent at longer range, though,
you
only
>  >need 1 arc.
>
> And that would be the crux of the matter. Your opponent isn't going to
let
> you sit at that range (if they've got any brains), at least not on a
> regular basis.

Rather depends on your relative thrust rating, eh?  An Alacrity BC
(thrust
8, Beam 4) vs anything without fighters is a game that takes a while,
but
only ends one way.

>   > You do still have to take into account where he'll be _next_ turn,
plus
>  >the possibility that you may want to shoot at more than one ship,
but
you
>  >don't have to worry about flank attacks (because you can see them
coming).

> You've still got to decide where you're going to fire. Against the KV
I've
> found it very effective to have two equally strong wings come in
against
> them from opposite sides - they can either turn half each way and
split
> fire or only concentrate on one wing while the other hammers them.

The logic here eludes me.  You come in from both sides, either I face
both
sides (and I have parity--or better, if I'm paying for fewer arcs) or I
ignore one side and maul the other.

>  >IMHO single arc Beam-3 and Beam-4 are a lot more attractive in
vector
than
>  >in cinematic.
>
> Quite possibly, but there are other weapons that are more attractive
in
> vector too. However within a purely vector game or purely cinematic
surely
> its the relative not the absolute costs that matter and so the system
is
> sound as it stands (or so it seems to me at least).

I'm saying I wouldn't design a 1 arc B3 ship for cinematic, but I would
in
vector.  Therefore you might have to design enntirely separate fleets to
be
efficient in both venues.