Prev: Re: [FT] Fighter Screen Next: Salvo Missile Varients

Re: [FT] Fighter Screen

From: Charles Stanley Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 22:27:19 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Fighter Screen

In message <004201bfee91$32ae1000$4bb59e3e@ranitzsch>
	  KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de (K.H.Ranitzsch) wrote:

> > So my fighters can move 24" to a ship and join its screen, then move
> > whatever my ship is moving as part of the screen, then use secondary
> > movement to move and attack.  Pretty nifty.   I'll start with a
Corvette
> > moving speed 40 or so...they'll never know what hit'em.
> >

> This goes a long way make a good argument for using basically the same
> movement rules for fighters as for normal ships as I have occasionally
seen
> suggested in the archive, i.e. record a fighter groups speed and
change
> course/speed as for a thrust-12 (or so) ship
>
> Greetings
> Karl Heinz

I recently had some thoughts on this - If we treat Fighters as Thrust-12
ships (Fast fighters as thrust 18?) - and we give a fighter 'advanced'
manoeuverability (as Kra'Vak) - and we're using Cinematic -

A fighter could perform the following movement: P12 (or S12):
begining of move - fighter does a 6-point (180 degree) turn.
Moves back along its path for half current speed.
Does another 6-point turn.
Moves back to its starting point!

What I think this represents is that the fighter is 'circling' - with
the size of the circle proportional to its current thrust.

If you don't allow advanced maoeuverability, then the fighter can move
in a square, at a rate of two sides per turn.

The point of this is: for very high value turns (far higher than
normally achievalble) the standard movement system begins to break down
- something to bear in mine if we use ship movement for fighters.

Of course, in Vector its a whole new situation, ignore all of the above.

Charles

--

Prev: Re: [FT] Fighter Screen Next: Salvo Missile Varients