Prev: Re: [FT] Fighter Screen Next: Re:Salvo Missile Varients

Salvo Missile Varients

From: Charles Stanley Taylor <charles.taylor@c...>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 22:59:23 +0100
Subject: Salvo Missile Varients

Well, after inventing rather too many new Sa'Vasku pod launcher
munitions - I've got a few ideas for alternative salvo missile types -
some of these are more question than suggestions - as I've come up with
a basic idea, but can't think of a good way to implement it!

So here we go:

EMP Salvo Missile

This is the SM equivalent of the old EMP missile in More Thrust - they
use the standard rules for a FB1 salvo missile, but when the missiles
hit (if they hit) use the number of missiles that actually target the
ship and are not stopped by PDS etc. in place of the random 1d6 roll on
the EMP missile table in More Thrust (p. 3) - you still subtract 1 per
level of shields.

Actually, looking at the table, I fell I should suggest an alternative:
1: no effect
2-3: systems knocked out on roll of 6
4-5: systems knocked out on roll of 5+
6: systems knocked out on roll of 4+

I actually thought that someone else had suggested something like this,
but I couldn't find anything on the archives - or the www.

I rejected the concept of a Needle Salvo Missile - PSB (and mechanics)
too messy!

Interceptor Salvo Missiles

I'm sure someone did a missile-based, one-shot PDS system (2 variants -
Rapier and Patriot) - but I can't find the web site again :-( any ideas?

Anyway, my idea is for a variant of interceptor that is launched from a
SMR/SML - either as a close in area defence system (launch in response
to an attack - in PDS phase), or as a long range 'proactive' area
defence system (launched during Missile phase) - in both cases, the
individual missiles in the salvo each have multiple submunitions that
hunt down and kill other missiles or fighters (maybe even Plasma Bolts).
But I can't come up with any mechanics I like :-(

Planetary Bombardment Salvo Missiles

Effectively, these enable a SMR/SML to be used as an ortillary system -
the actual mechanics are probably best left tho the Dirtside players -
as they'll have to deal with the results!

(I'm going to have to try and get into Dirtside - I know one of my
friends plays it occassionally).

Decoy Salvo Missiles

Launch as usual, but they don't attack ships, however, their placement
token counts as a valid target for other salvo missiles :-)

Light Missile System
Idea I've been tinkering with - like SMR/SML, but fires single missiles:
Light Missile Rack: MASS 1, cost 2, or 3 with ER missiles
Light Missile Launcher: MASS 1, cost 2
Light Missile Magazine: MASS 1/3 missiles, or 1/2 ER missiles, cost
MASSx3

Use as for SMs, but to determine if missile locks on to target (after
defences against it are allocated) roll 1d6, 1-3 missile misses, 4-6
missile on target.

Not very effective by itself (like the ods of 1 missile getting through
any serious PDS are slight) - but a way of giving missile capability to
small ships - I see it as a system for modelling genre small ships with
little missiles (Millenium Falcon, perhaps?)

Charles

--

Prev: Re: [FT] Fighter Screen Next: Re:Salvo Missile Varients