Prev: RE: "Custom" fleets Next: Re: [SF]: Origins awards

Re: FT: floating map

From: Daryl Lonnon <dlonnon@f...>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 12:00:07 -0600 (MDT)
Subject: Re: FT: floating map

> >Out of curiosity...	how does one manage the case where both sides
fly past
> >each other and off of the table in opposite directions due to
excessive
> >speed?  Where does one "float" the table to?
> >
> >I would like to use a floating table but haven't found a solution to
this
> >problem that doesn't involve putting my beer down to record where
everyone
> >is located, 'off table'.  Too much paper work... is there a more
elegant
> >solution?  Otherwise, I'd just soon stick with the fixed table method
> >discussed in FT2.
> >
> >Pete
>
> One solution: restart positions; as in reposition the figures to
facing
> each other on the edge of the table.	If one side is more maneuverable
> than the other then you could figure out the different angle of
approach
> instead of head on.

FYI, I've never had to do this in real life.

Another solution: Scale the map down.  Drop a chit in the center of the
board, and measure every mini (debris) from that chit and move them
1/2 way in toward it.  Divide all measurements by 2 from that point
on.  Move things in by 1/4 and divide by 4 if they are really moving.

Once they start getting close again, drop another chit and double the
distance to it (then mearsure normally again).

The chit can be dropped anywhere on the board (when shrinking or
expanding),
doesn't necessarily need to be in the center (nor would the center
always result in the best possible scaling).

Mathmatically, it works great.	In practice ... no idea.  Works for
Cinematetic (sp?) and Vector.

Daryl

Prev: RE: "Custom" fleets Next: Re: [SF]: Origins awards