Prev: Re: OT: Avalon Hill Starship Troopers Game. Next: re: DSII questions

Re: MT missiles

From: Indy <kochte@s...>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 08:41:15 -0400
Subject: Re: MT missiles

Brian Bell wrote:
[...]
> I have tried a floating table 3 times. All 3 times one of the forces
> split to both right and left off the table (by at least 2 table
> widths each).

[...]
> Now someone will suggest using the floor. A fair alternative, but many
> of the people that I play with (at home) are getting to old to
> comfortably use the floor. And doing it at the gaming store is
inviting
> trouble as someone is sure to walk through your battle and crush a
> ship or two (while looking at the merchandise).

I was going to suggest using the floor (suggested it in the past, but
not in this current thread ;), but I see your difficulties in this. We
sometimes use the floor here when we play. I think of all the times
we've used the floor, we only had to 'float' the floor (!) once - and
that was when Noam was having his NI fleet screaming around my NAC
fleet in that 'spiral of death' thing we did (see this mentioned by
Noam and others in the offset firearcs thread). Otherwise using the
floor has been okay (although I'm thinking that I'll start dragging
my caving kneepads out in the future  ;-)

> If I sound like I am griping or whining, please forgive me. That is
not
> my intention. I am just explaining why we usually use a fixed table.
> I can usually play with anyone except someone who would rather win
> than have fun.

The times we've used a table we've only had to float it occassionally.
Everyone agreed that the edges shouldn't be 'hard', but then when we
play I think everyone does their best to maneuver their force so it
stays on the table. So far in most of the cases we've had to float it
was due to a miscalculation of someone skirting the edge and trying
to swing back into the thick of things; we've never (so far) had the
situation where if we float things to allow an errant ship or two to
stay on the table that others would drop off. Hmmm. And only once did
I ever use an extra table to not float the main table, but that was
during Jerry Han's "Berserker" scenario at GZG-ECC earlier this year.
The ships that made us dig up extra tables eventually got turned
around and back on the main table (but then again we had room to
add the extra tables, too ;-)

Mk

Prev: Re: OT: Avalon Hill Starship Troopers Game. Next: re: DSII questions