Prev: HBW. My input Next: RE: No Munchkin Zone

Re: FT: High Energy Turns (ala SFB)

From: colin.plummer@t...
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 13:25:10 +0000
Subject: Re: FT: High Energy Turns (ala SFB)

Quoting GBailey@aol.com (Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 03:15:09PM -0500)

> How does this sound for simulating HETs with cinematic movement?
> (an HET, High Energy Turn, allows the ship to face in any direction
> with a chance of a break down)
>
> An operating FTL drive allows a ship to make an HET.	The HET must
> be plotted and can only occur at the beginning of movement.  An HET
> allows a ship to face any direction before moving.  After the HET is
> performed, roll 1 die as a threshold check with a DM of -1, with a DM
> of +1 per HET previously performed.  If the check fails the FTL drive
> is damaged, 1 hull box is damaged, and the ship continues turning
> for 1D6 points.  Then move the ship its normal plot.
>
> Well?

Sounds like a 'make SML obsolete' mechanism to me.  Not that I've played
with SML or particularly like them.

Just do a 4 pt HET when you think they're going to launch and plot a
turn in
the opposite direction.  If you make the test you'll end up 1.4 * speed
units
away from where they expected you.  If you fail, you will do between a 5
and
10 point turn instead - equally as good for avoiding the SML barrage.

I would make the following adjustments

  A special type of FTL drive is required to make a HET, weighing 5%
more
than normal.
  A failed check on a HET means the equipment broke at the start of the
manuever, and you continue on your original heading.
  You can't plot any other type of movement with a HET, once the turn is
completed you take a straight line course at current speed.
  A HET must be 3pts, 6pts or 9pts ... control is not fine enough to do
anything less.

  This still makes it quite effective if you anticipate the SML barrage.
But limits the additional places that your ship might end up to 3 extra
ones.
In addition, you've payed for the ability to do this - thus giving them
mass advantage.

--
Colin Plummer

Prev: HBW. My input Next: RE: No Munchkin Zone