Next: Re: FT: High Energy Turns (ala SFB)

HBW. My input

From: Graeme Bradbury <graeme.bradbury@b...>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 13:18:53 -0000
Subject: HBW. My input

Schoon wrote:

They ARE balanced with P-Torps as currently written (at least according
strict statistics , though playtesting could pick up something that we
missed or wasn't factored in).

I don't think they are balanced with p-torps for this reason:
If a p-torp is out of arc it cannot fire!
If a hbw is out of arc it can't fire, but if it is in arc next turn it
fires at twice efectiveness.

So my solution (for what its worth)

BE's
mass = class x 1
points = mass x 3

BPS's
mass = class x 3
points = class x 3
generates energy per turn = class
capacity = class x2

(ie one ptorp = 4mass 12pts)
(one hbw class 1 = 4mass 12pts)

Hit/damage.
One dice roll per energy point allocated. Damage is equal to amount
rolled minus 1 per 6mu
and minus 1 per level of shield. A SIX always causes at least one point
but no rerolls.

SSD notes
The BE's and BPS's are both seperate icons on the SSD. If the BE is hit
it is out of action
till repaired. If the BPS is hit it is out of action till repaired, and
all stored energy is lost.

This (in my opinion) makes for a balanced system.

p-torps are better weapons against shielded targets. HBW's are better
weapons against
armoured ones.

P-torps are less vulnerable too threshold checks than HBW's. HBW's on
the other hand have
the added benefit of allowing a two turn damage strike in one turn, if
they did not fire in an
earlier turn.

so i think damage wise, point for point p-torp and HBW are about equal.
HBW have a
special ability (double damage) but have the downside of double
threshold checks.

Graeme.

ps. anyone know why outlook is appending this junk to my mails.

Next: Re: FT: High Energy Turns (ala SFB)