Prev: Re: FT tactics vs slow ships, tiny ships are toast Next: Re: FT tactics vs slow ships, tiny ships are toast

Re: staci & mark Drake: DS2 ideas

From: RWHofrich@a...
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 17:39:24 EST
Subject: Re: staci & mark Drake: DS2 ideas

In a message dated 1/23/00 10:06:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
THE-DRAKE@webtv.net writes:

> Listerines,
>	 After reading the idea for permasmoke I wanted to post some of
my
>  ideas to see if anyone is interested--here goes:
>
>  - -Random Events Table--each side assigned specific random Event #
where
>  RE activated :where each side pulls a chit/rolls a die/dice, and if
it
>  matches your assigned RE# (say yellow 3) then a random event
>  triggered--roll 2 dice to see what event triggered (friendly
>  reinforcements,artillery strikes,changes in orders,enemy
>  infiltrators,etc.--where colored die is 10's and white die is
>  1's)---this idea lifted straight out of Solitaire Advanced Squad
>  Leader,BTW
>
>  - -ROPA/ROP flamethrower--portable grenade launcher firing2 to 4 kg
>  incendiary grenade out to @200-400 meters;used against terrain/troop
>  concentrations/soft vehicles--say ALL chits valid and bonus in close
>  assault? ---this weapon used in Russian military I believe

The US used/uses a quad missile launcher (M202?  My memory must be
going) for
this same role--but I think that this would be covered under APSW
personally.

>  - -allow crews/teams ranged firefight abilities with small arms, say
out
>  to 100 meters---still need to protect themselves,especially if crewed
>  weapon out of action,right?

While they have the same weapons as an infantry squad, their primary
role is
whatever the specialty is, therefore they only fire in self-defense, ie
in
close combat. (If you re-read the section on close assualts and what
they
represent, you may change your mind about this one).

>  - -allow afv's/vehicles/infantry to engage in direct fire/ranged
firefight
>  weapons in urban terrain----I do not like the rule currently
forbidding
>  this (p.46-COMBAT IN URBAN AREAS)  as there are numerous examples of
>  this type of combat being used  in city/urban fighting (Stalingrad
>  1942,Warsaw 1944,Berlin 1945,Seoul1950,Hue 1968,Grozny 1994 to
>  present---in everyone of these battles,tanks/afv's lend fire support
>  through direct fire on buildings/bridges,etc.before/as the infantry
go
>  in---I think this rule is an absolute necessity to have,ESPECIALLY if
>  one plays using 1"=50meter scale------did I mention that I play
>  Squad Leader too?)

I thin the rules on close cob\mbat really are better suited to covering
this,
though maybe a modifer for a combined arms team should be applied...

>  - -automatic grenade launchers--similar to AGS-17;direct fire to
@1200
>  meters vs.terrain/soft targets (didnt this appear in an old post,or
in
>  the archives?)

I'd still; call this an APSW.  The range is even right.

>  - -direct fire field guns/artillery

I really like this one--the only way I've been able to play it is to let

artillery "call itself" on targets and hit instantly or to buy the unit
as a
combination MDC and Mdm Artillery--but that's awfully expensive in terms
of
mass.

>  - -EMP weapons---air burst weapon that would disrupt electronics over
an
>  area (say small bomb/missile detonates and affects
>  radar/firecons/communications over X number of meters every direction
>  from impact)--still working on this as I am not sure how to simulate
>  effects.

Sounds good--perhaps hit's vehicles within burst radius with System Down

chits, but only if total points of chit draw exceeded target vehicle
armor
(call it system hardening or whatever).  And make it VERY expensive.

>  Any comments /suggestions/feedback?	Please let me know as I am still
>  learning DS2 .
>
>  Thanks,				    Mark Drake

There you have it--my wonderful 2 pfennings worth.

Rob

Prev: Re: FT tactics vs slow ships, tiny ships are toast Next: Re: FT tactics vs slow ships, tiny ships are toast