Prev: Re: [FT] PSB and Turn Length Next: Re: Sensors

Re: [FT] Jump Limits

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 20:51:47 -0700
Subject: Re: [FT] Jump Limits

>I agree with this viewpoint.  You could make it a little easier for the
>defenders by making FTL less than instantaneous.  This is kind of what
>Timothy Zahn used in his Conqueror(sp?) books.  An FTL ship generated a
>"tachyon wave" that was detectable well before the ship arrived, giving
the
>defender time to get prepared.  I think the major planets had specific
>"vectors" that ships come come insystem on and anything not on one of
the
>vectors was considered hostile.

I think that this may be unnecessary. Just by giving an FTL transition a
large signiature, you accomplish the same thing. Ships must make smaller
and smaller jumps as they near their destination (to achieve accuracy),
and
are thus detectable from this energy prior to arrival (remember that the
FASTEST a ship can accomplish a second transit is on the order of 6
hours).

This gives defenders a heads up.

Schoon

Prev: Re: [FT] PSB and Turn Length Next: Re: Sensors