Prev: Re: Fire lanes Next: Re: TBA designs

Re: Fire lanes

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 15:38:54 -0700
Subject: Re: Fire lanes

Bulldog wrote:

> I thought the simplest suggestion (forgot whose) was to fire at your
> target in cover, then resolve with the only possible result being
> suppression (that is to say "I ain't going out there - it's
> dangerous!").

That's not necessarily how real suppression works, you cover areas that
you
don't want the enemy to go into not where they are hiding under
impenetrable
cover. However you're right that it is simpler. But what about when the
attackers approach (as usually happens)  that cover from an area where
they
wouldn't have been observed or in LOS? (Deadspace) In reality the
defender
might not have known they were there anyway. And normally there isn't
huge
amount of rounds available to go wasting it on every spot the enemy may
be
(recon by fire partially excepted)

> <insert author>'s suggestion has something to recommend it over my own
> for autofire. I like using the suggested weapon multiplier to RB and
RB
> based on quality from earlier discussions (meshes with SG2 and lets
you
> generate varying quality weapons), but the idea of an autofire that
you
> can arc is useful. Though properly done, it should menace targets
> between you and the shooter, on the target line, and for a fair piece
> beyond that. Also note that your method of using high FP die for small
> sprays makes them as lethal as the weapon can be. I'd think any spray
is
> a degradation of effecive FP. I'd start 1 ds down, and work out from

One major diff between Laserlight and Tom's autofire method is:

LL: Anything with a two inch are gets attacked with normal firepower,
then
degrades from there out to the limit of the arc. Anything within
whatever
band of the arc can be attacked once but there is no limit as to the
number
of figures which can be attacked.

TB: Anything other than firing at one target begins to degrade the FP
die.
(ie single tgt D10, Burst D8, Full auto D6). Depending on teh type of
fire
mode the gunner gets multiple attacks to spread out against the targets.
(I.e. Single=1, burst, 2, FA=7) and individual targets can be attacked
as
many times as you need given you still have rounds left.

> there. And you'd still have to do enough bookeeping or memorization to
> know a SAW goes in increments of 1", an GPMG in increments of 2" and
an
> HMG back in increments of 1" (dangerous... but not high enough ROF for
> max suppresion).

Note that both Stargrunt and FMA require you to do bookkeeping up front
anyway, so in my mind that's a non-issue. As long as there's not much
bookeeping during the game . Before you start any game you have to
figure
out things like weapon firepower, quality, leadership, regular and
combat
movement, armor type etc and all this has to be written down on the
squad
cards..

Cheers...

Los

Prev: Re: Fire lanes Next: Re: TBA designs