Prev: Re: balancing Fighters and different SM loads Next: Re: More Fighter questions

Re: More Fighter questions

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 10:00:24 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: More Fighter questions

On  8-Jul-99 at 09:43, Izenberg, Noam (Noam.Izenberg@jhuapl.edu) wrote:
> 2 Quatloos here - Given the nominal game turn is 15 minutes (yes, it's
> nowhere set in stone, but that's the convention GZG-Jon has mentioned
more
> than once) I find it hard to believe that "cargo" fighters can't be
readied
> in a bay designed for fighters for several hours, unless the "cargo"
> version of the fighter is actualyl stored deconstructed in boxes. I
think
> it would add an interesting flavor to a scenario to have an additional
> fighter group drawn out of cargo (assuming mass devoted to it on the
> carrier) every 2-4 turns, depending on total bay space, available crew
units
> etc...

I don't find it hard to believe at all.  You have to bring up each
piece of electronics, test it and verify no problems.  Check
pressurization
on the cabin.  Provide whatever is needed for fuel.  Verify the ejection
seat, etc etc.

Remember, space is a much more hostile environment than anything you
are used to dealing with, and all you need is one defect from the
manufacturer to kill the person flying the beast.  I wouldn't be at
all surprised to see an 8 to 10 hour warmup including live tests of
the engines.

"Oh #!$&, my controls just froze up, the wiring harness must have..."
<nice female computer voice> "impact in 3 2 1" BOOM.

You don't just take a spacecraft out of mothballs and throw it into
combat.

Roger Books

Prev: Re: balancing Fighters and different SM loads Next: Re: More Fighter questions