Prev: RE: Carriers and other updates Next: Re: Fw: Carriers and other updates

RE: A New Anglian Confederation Interstellar News Network Report

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 11:19:49 +1000
Subject: RE: A New Anglian Confederation Interstellar News Network Report

Oooh, more pirates to add to my listing.
I take it that it's a ~70 mass Q-ship with 2 PT + 1 class-4 & several
class-1 batteries with heavy armouring?

'Neath Southern Skies - http://users.mcmedia.com.au/~denian/
Commodore Alfred K Hole - RNS Indy's Folly [CB]
Captain Nicolette O'Teen - RNMS Golden Spear [CB]
EBD Medusa

Report

>      ------------- Begin Forwarded Message -------------
>
>	    LTT 9001 Wreck Is Dated To Blackbeard's Time
>
>	      :::From New Anglian Interstellar News Network:::
>	      Updated 04:17 Albion Standard Time June 27, 2179
>
> Fomalhaut (Albion Times) - Metal taken from wreckage believed to be
> Blackbeard's "Revenge" dates to the time the pirate's flagship was
> built as a Federal Stats Europa 'merchant vessel' in the early 2100s,
> scientists said Wednesday.
>
> Star charts and maps from the early 2100s also bolster archaeologists'
> belief that the wreck, found strewn across the surface of LTT 9001
III,
> is the remains of Blackbeard's flagship, which disappeared in 2137.
>
> "So far, everything we've found seems to correlate pretty much to the
> time period the starship would have been built or the same period the
> construction techniques would have been used to build the ship," said
> Henry Nathan, a conservator with the Royal Stellar Archaeology Unit.
>
> Blackbeard, whose real name was Sir Warren Teach, ruthlessly prowled
> the spacelanes between Santa Maria and Fomalhaut before he was killed
> in November 2137 in the Fomalhaut asteroid belt by NAC naval forces.
>
> Since the wreck was discovered in October 2176, archeaologists have
> been racing to confirm it is the "Revenge", a medium-sized cruiser
> that Blackbeard armed with 2 PF-9 Starlance beams for preying on
> merchant ships.
>
> A number of anti-ship guns, ranging from some Mk 8s to the massive
> Mk 30 beam cannon, have been found at the site, and titanium plates
> and other artifacts link the wreckage to Blackbeard's day.
>
> Scientists are studying the results of a recent stellar cartographical
> survey to determine whether other weapons or artifacts are lying
buried
> in the ground around the wreck, including any of the dozen smaller
> anti-ship cannons the ship was armed with.
>
> The search was slowed after government legislators cut off funding
> earlier this year, and researchers said metal from the wreck is being
> ravaged by the corrossively toxic atmosphere of LTT 9001 III.
>
> Although work at the site has come to a standstill, Royal
archaeologists