Prev: Re: [FT] Piquet in Space (was Core Systems) Next: RE: [SG] Settings...

RE: [FT] Piquet in Space (was Core Systems)

From: Binhan Lin <Lin@R...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 18:51:49 -0600
Subject: RE: [FT] Piquet in Space (was Core Systems)

Is Piquet a published system?  If so, where?  How much does it set you
back?
(Not to intice an advertizement.)

Your discription reminds me of some of the chit/card draw systems I have
seen
for some wargames.
I have played "Across five aprils"  -- an American civil war game that
has a
very simplied version.
It includes only two types of chits:
   Unit chit -- Each unit has it's own chit.  It moves when drawn.
   Battle chit -- All units attack now.

A good wargame.

Donald Hosford

Piquet is a full blown system - the web page is :

http://www.piquet.com

The rules are heavily based on luck - we've had games where one side had
as
many as thirty actions before the opponent even moved ( a 20 Vs 1 die
roll goes
a long way).  There are bizarre events that can occur, such as on the
reload
card - if you are already loaded, and this card comes up, you can fire
your
weapons (1 action) then reload (1 action) then fire (1 action) for each
unit
before you have to flip your card to the next one.  This tends to make
firing
occur in bursts with very little option to spread fire out.  People tend
conserve fire into huge volleys where many units will get to fire and
then
reload.  Movement is a bit iffy too since it's possible for the opponent
start at the far edge of the board and close with you without you ever
getting
a shot.  This is offset if you allow for bonus chips that can be cashed
in for
extra actions.	At least then you'll get one chance to fire (but you
need
actions and the appropriate card to reload).  There is an interesting
side to
this though in that the luck eventually balances out - you just need to
survive
long enough for the luck to shift your way - which makes designing the
scenario
important.  There needs to be something that allows a player to hang on
for a
turn or two of bad luck (extra distance on the map, terrain feature,
mission
objectives other than destroy the opponent...)

Some thoughts,

--Binhan

Prev: Re: [FT] Piquet in Space (was Core Systems) Next: RE: [SG] Settings...