Prev: Scale? [Was: Re: The Naboo Fighter.] Next: Re: Marcon and the Unofficial ESU Fleet Roster

Re: Scale? [Was: Re: The Naboo Fighter.]

From: -MWS- <Hauptman@c...>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 18:14:38 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Scale? [Was: Re: The Naboo Fighter.]

On Thu, 6 May 1999, Michael Sarno wrote:

> Mark^2,
>     Another place to find the "right" answer is
> http://www.jps.net/minipage/ref/scales.html.	That page also touches
on the
> fact that manufacturers have been steadily enlarging their figures
over the
> years to show more detail.

Yup - although the Miniatures Page is using the "eye level" measurement
instead of the "top of head" one, which is where they come up with their
magic
number of 1610 instead of 1800 (or 1776).

There has been quite a bit of discussion on this topic in the
rec.games.miniatures.historical and rec.games.miniatures.misc newsgroups
over
the years.  One of the factoids that came out is that the first 25mm
figures
were intended to be scaled at 1" = 6'.	This is where I get the 25mm =
1/72
equivalency and the magic number of 1800.  However, the scales *have*
been
inflating over the last 15 years, and so 1/64 is probably more accurate
for
any 25mm line not listed as "true 25mm". :)

> The ONLY way to tell if something is the same scale that you are using
is
> to actually compare the piece in question side-by-side with other
figures
> that you consider to be the proper scale.

That statement is absolutely positively dead accurate.

>     I mostly use 20mm figures for the games I play and have used
vehicles,
> buildings, and accessories that are 1/72, 1/85, and HO scales.  Oddly
enough,
> the 1/72 Esci plastic figures are slightly smaller than the 20mm
figures I
> usually use.

I find the 1/72 plastics to be too tall - but too thin - to look good
with the
20mm stuff I play with. <g>

Mark "Hauptmann" Shurtleff
  email: hauptman@sfcmd.com -or- hauptman@concentric.net
       The Gear Locker:  http://www.sfcmd.com/HeavyGear/
	   Full Thrust:  http://www.sfcmd.com/fullthrust/

 Finagle's Law:
   The perversity of the Universe tends towards the maximum.

Prev: Scale? [Was: Re: The Naboo Fighter.] Next: Re: Marcon and the Unofficial ESU Fleet Roster