Prev: [FT] Initial Vectors Next: Re: Need an acceptable Beijing/B ADFC varient

Re: [FT] Initial Vectors

From: "Well, I can only die... (Indy, as he started down his first Black Diamond of the season)" <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 09:24:10 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [FT] Initial Vectors

>From several comments, I've become confused as to what is the
>'common' way of setting initial speeds and directions of ships
>at the start of a meeting scenerio.
>
>Of course, special scenerio setups are always possible, but do
>folks normally let the participants start however they want,
>use set startings, or something randomized? We've been using
>a d6+4 which I think was how the last GenCon battles were
>started, but I'm not finding any 'official' book answer so far,
>and was mostly curious as to how others do it.

It varies for how I do things. I know a handful of people who hard
and fast believe in the 'no more than twice (or 3x) the thrust rating
of the slowest ship in your force' theory, but I have a real hard time
swallowing that (what if I *want* to start my thrust-2 superdread out
at speed 10??).

In some scenarios I specify a reasonable speed (between 6-10 or 8-12,
as the players see fit), and in others I'll roll a die (similar to
how you do it - but again, it varies to how I 'feel' about the scenario
in question). Noam and I are hammering out some simple FT Campaign rules
and one of the things we've touched on is speeds of fleets in
encounters.
We basically have decided so far that if someone is defending a planet
they are restricted to a speed of 6 initially while attackers can go wat
whatever the hell speed they want (fine, you want to make a high
velocity
speed-40 pass against defenders who are basically sitting still, go
nuts;
it'll be a while before you get turned around again... :). And in
encounters
where there is no clear defender (eg, the defender of the system has
opted
to 'go out and meet' the aggressors to the system), each side can choose
whatever speed they want.

Yeah, this has the potential to make for single-pass,
not-terribly-interesting
encounters, but what the hey? You get what you pay for.  ;-)

Mk
-
Daune: "How can you be asleep and getting ready at the same time?"

Indy: "I'm multi-tasking..."

Prev: [FT] Initial Vectors Next: Re: Need an acceptable Beijing/B ADFC varient