Prev: Re: [FT] Playtest of Fulton's MT Missile rules proposal Next: Re: [FT] Playtest of Fulton's MT Missile rules proposal

[FT] A thought on that vector movement problem

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:56:25 +1000
Subject: [FT] A thought on that vector movement problem

G'day guys,

	I guess this topic is dead and buried already, but Derek and
I were discussing it last night and he thought I should repeat
here what I said last night. So here goes.

Basically the way I see it is that the vector movement system
is pretty stylised already. Its a nifty abstraction I'll admit, but its
just that an abstraction. Thus I really can't see the problem with
movement, turn, push. Furthermore, as far as I can see all the
modifications etc. suggested to fix this one (supposed) glitch
also knock out a hell of a lot more maneuvres than just that one.
So why fiddle with it? After all its not really broke as it is,
based on our experience its rarely used anyway (I think I've
only ever seen Derek's battle line of NSL push, rotate or thrust
never the lot at once - though I must admit I've used the 'bad'
move once to get some very small ships out of the way of his very
big SDN).

Anyway just my thoughts on a thread which is probably long dead
- I'll try and be in the present more from now on ;)

One more question though, does some of the resistance to the 'bad'
move come from those used to cinematic or is more a case of it being
just too grating for the physics-oriented to swallow? The reason I ask
is that Showdown is my ONLY experience with cinematic (which may
explain how come my BDN ended up perfectly placed in front of
everyone's crosshairs this turn - well that's my excuse) so I'm just
trying
to figure out where the sentiments are coming from.

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax (03) 6232 5199 International +61 3 6232 5199

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au