Prev: Re: [FT] Houserules for bringing MT missiles into FB Next: RE: [FT] Houserules for bringing MT missiles into FB

Re: [FT] Playtest of Fulton's MT Missile rules proposal

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 16:24:21 -0800
Subject: Re: [FT] Playtest of Fulton's MT Missile rules proposal

>One possible way of toning down the "massed EMP missile attack" to
balance the
>points cost is to combine all simultaneous attacks on a single target
into a
>*single* die roll as follows:
>
>  All EMP missiles attacking a single target combine their attacks into
>  single die roll.  For each additional EMP missile that successfully
attacks
>  the same target, 1 is added to the effects die roll.

This would work, but I hesitate to do it that way unless you're assuming
that the missiles are all coordinating their attacks (which they might).
See my previous post concerning toning them down in the first place.

The problem with combining them is that you can then be almost assured
of
knocking out a single ship if you use enough missiles on it. For
example:
an NAC SDN will take out an average of 4.4 missiles with its defences,
assuming it's fighters are unavailable for screening. So 9 missiles
virtually gaurantee knocking out 50% of its systems. That's 321 points
for
a 54 point investment.

Even at 12 points a missile, I'll take those odds. Granted this takes
the
single ship "in a vacuum" so to speak, but it gives food for thought.

Schoon

Prev: Re: [FT] Houserules for bringing MT missiles into FB Next: RE: [FT] Houserules for bringing MT missiles into FB