Prev: Battlestar Galactica: The Movie Next: Re: [FT] Playtest of Fulton's MT Missile rules proposal

Re: [FT] Houserules for bringing MT missiles into FB

From: Sean Bayan Schoonmaker <schoon@a...>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 16:24:17 -0800
Subject: Re: [FT] Houserules for bringing MT missiles into FB

My comments on the missile rules:

>One ship may launch any number of missiles, subject only to the number
of
>missiles the ship is carrying.

Just an idea: a ship may launch as many missiles as it has FCs. This
also
helps prevent missile boat design abuses.

>Missiles are moved exactly in the same way as fighters, with players
>alternating moving missiles with the side who lost the initiative going
first.

This actually made alot of sense to me. Missiles should be at least as
agile as fighters.

>Each time a missile moves it uses it uses one 'combat endurance factor'
>(CEF, exactly the same thing as fighters use).

I also like the use of the CEF. The fewer mechanics we have to remember,
the faster the game can procede.

However, going to this system, especially if the secondary move is of
any
real distance, significantly changes the balance of the Missile system.
They were originally fairly easy to evade with a fast moving ship, and
even
average ships had a decent chance at evasion if they had enought time to
prepare. Only the big cows were pretty much a sure thing if they got
caught
flat footed.

It may be possible to rebalance by making the secondary move
comparatively
small (6"?). Another idea might be to restrict the secondary move to a
number of arcs (front 3?).

>Class 1-beam batteries and screening fighter groups can also engage
>attacking missiles, for each battery a score of 5 or 6 will kill the
>missile. For each fighter in the group roll a D6, if a 5 or 6 is scored
on
>any of the dice rolled the missile is destroyed.

You might save some breath by saying that "MT Missiles" are affected by
defensive/screening systems/fighters exactly as SMLs. It looked like
everything was the same to me.

>To resolve this attack roll D6 1 for the number of missiles on target,
if
>the final score is less than one then there are no missiles on target
and
>it's a clean miss. If there are missiles on target roll a D6 and add
the
>number of missiles to the score rolled, if the final result is 6 or
greater
>then the target missile is destroyed.

I don't understand this. I THINK it says roll 1d6-1 for each attecking
missile, and then add a d6 roll. If the result is >6 then you killed it.

It seems needlessly complicated. An alternate might be to simply say
that
an SML on target for a missile destroys that one missile. It's going to
be
difficult enough to employ this effectively, why add more uncertainty
with
lots of dice. Unless, of course, you're just trying to make sure that no
one tries it.

>Please note that unlike a fighter a missile does not need to expend CEF
>attack a target.

Why not? I'm just playing the devil's advocate here, but they have to
manuever in for the "shot" just like a fighter. It would make
shepherding
that last CEF much more interesting as well. Do I manuever and hope I
get
the shot now, or come around for a better go.

>Type			Mass Cost	Move allowance	Endurance
Warhead

What's the secondary move (I'm guessing 9")?

I'd consider making all the Missiles: MASS 4, POINT COST 12. This is
equal
to an SMR. An SMR does 12.25 points of damage to an undefended target.

Your missiles do 7 points, but have a much better chance of hitting (2
or
3x?). On the other hand, defences are more effective against them. Going
by
this, MASS 5, POINT COST 15 might not even be out of line.

The EMP missile seems too effective to me. You might want to alter it
to:
1-2: No Effect
3-4: Roll a "6" threshold test
5-6: Roll a "5-6" threshold test
... and even then it's pretty darn devestating, particularly against the
big boys.

Schoon

Prev: Battlestar Galactica: The Movie Next: Re: [FT] Playtest of Fulton's MT Missile rules proposal