Prev: RE: [FT] Basing Fighters Next: Re: [FT] FTL

Re: [FT] FTL

From: "Steve Pugh" <steve@w...>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 14:01:33 -0000
Subject: Re: [FT] FTL

> On the other hand, as I keep mentioning, there's this thing probably
> around most systems called an Oort (can't do umlats) Cloud, so, do you
> have to move outsystem 1/3 the distance to the closest star before you
can
> engage FTL? *shrug*

The gravitional effect of a hollow sphere, experienced anywhere
inside the sphere is zero. Now, I can't remember off the top of my
head whether the Oort cloud is a ring or a cloud but the same effect
applies in either case. (If it is a ring then you'll start to feel a
pull only if you leave the plane of the ring.)

Of course it's rather more likely that considering the density of the
Oort cloud (low) and it's distance from the sun/earth (large) that it
doesn't produce a large enough gravitational gradient to effect FTL
jumps.

Some systems have an Oort cloud that is a lot further in, but these
systems tend to also have brown dwarfs and no/few other planets and
so are very unlikely to be sites for human colonies (but may be
perfect Sa'vasku ship breeding grounds for all we know...)

	Steve

--
The Ground Zero Games Meta-FAQ is available at
http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/estate/ax16/grunt/meta-faq.txt

Steve Pugh   <steve.pugh@dial.pipex.com>

Prev: RE: [FT] Basing Fighters Next: Re: [FT] FTL